Re: Isiah's remarks

Hooray for Mike!

He got it right.  I, too, remember the incident and saw multiple replays of the
televised interview.  Thomas was *not* kidding.  He was *not* facetiously poking
fun at Rodman's comments.  He was *not* taken out of context.  His words were
not spoken "tongue-in-cheek".  His comments were pure sour grapes, made in the
lockerroom minutes after Larry and the Celts had pulled the rug out from under
the Pistons.

The intent of his words was to marginalize Bird's performance, which was being
ballyhooed in the face of the Pistons during the locker room post-game
interviews.  Paraphrased, he was saying "What?  What did we think of Larry's
performance during the series?  No big deal.  He didn't do anything so special.
He did what lots of guys do all season long.  Let's face it,.... the only reason
you guys are making such a big deal about him is because he's white.  If he was
black, he'd be just another good guy."

And what only a few sportswriters acknowledged at the tail-end of the story was
the fact that Larry saved Thomas' butt by stepping up and doing damage control
for him.

Rodman is, very simply, a moron.  I doubt if he ever has a coherent thought.
(For evidence consider his most recent, self-concocted plan where he, Pippen,
Jordan and Phil Jackson would get traded to the Clippers).  So, his comments
should not have been (and, not surprisingly, weren't) taken seriously by
anyone.  Thomas, on the other hand, is a very intelligent man and knew better
than to offer such racist drivel to the media.  What amazes me is that so many
people so quickly forgot the whole incident.

Joe.