Re: Isiah's remarks

Warwick Janetzki wrote:

> Cecil Wright wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to remember exactly what Thomas' comments regarding Larry
> > Bird being an average player back in the mid-80's.  Something about how
> > fans rave about him because he is white.  I think he also went so far as
> > to say if Bird were black he would merely be classified as an average
> > player.
> >
> > Can anyone on the list help me out?
> >
> > Cecil
>
> The people who responded about Isiah saying it to the media on tv or
> radio were right. He was joking, as we all know Isiah, Magic and Bird
> are all kinda close so theres no way he would slag him off like that.
>
> Warwick

There is a way, and I remember it vividly.  That remark actually came
after Game 7 when the Celts beat Detroit in the 1987 conference finals,
and it was a war.  I never believed Thomas was joking--this was minutes
after a bitter loss, and now the real Isiah had emerged.  At the Finals,
Bird defused the situation by appearing with Thomas at a press
conference, where Larry accepted Thomas' apology.  My opinion: at that
point, Isiah just wanted to save his own butt.

Need more evidence?  In '88, the Pistons finally overcame the Celts in
the playoffs, ending Boston's four-year run in the Finals.  McHale shook
Thomas' hand at mid-court as Kevin was subbed for with a minute to play.
Detroit lost in 7 to LA that year, but then they won the title two years
in a row.  During those two years, Chicago unsuccessfully chased the
Pistons, just as Detroit had chased Boston.  In '91, when the Bulls
finally beat Detroit, the weasel Thomas and his sore loser team walked
off the court with only a couple of seconds to play, refusing to
congratulate the Bulls.  Boston had respected Detroit when the Pistons
won, but when the Pistons lost they would not show Chicago that same
respect. Thomas was the team captain, so who was mostly to blame?

If you think about it, Isiah was probably a bigger jerk than Bill
Laimbeer.  At least Laimbeer never pretended that he was a nice guy.

Mike Dynon