Will McDonough's rants

I don't know about you, but between his role the Patriot's debacle and now
this nonsense below  written by McDonough I am completely turned off by
him.  For the first time in my life, I am writing a letter to the editor
(and to McD).  If anyone has seen Fuzzy Zoeller's remarks about Tiger
Woods, they would know he was NOT kidding.  I have seen them and even if
Fuzzy thinks he was kidding, he was not.  Fuzzy said, "the little boy" and
"tell him not to order fried chicken and collard greens." You see, it would
be "just kidding" if he was expressing those thoughts to his all-white golf
buddies.  It would have been a big laugh among that set for sure.  I LOVE
GOLF, but that it exactly what is wrong with the sport.  It's an insulated
sport and it needs to have the cover blown off it.  As a women, I have
played many sports, but it is in golf that I have been the most mistreated
because of my gender. I hope McD hears it from the people of Boston on this
one.  He's gone too far.

TJL

Bird-as-GM seems a little featherbrained

                    By Will Mcdonough, 04/23/97

                    Pardon me, but what makes Larry Bird general manager
material?

                    How many great players have made good coaches or
general managers?

                    Two years ago, when M.L. Carr was given the top
basketball position
                    with the Celtics, the media asked what made him GM
material. Why not
                    the same question about Bird?

                    Carr at least has terrific people skills. Bird is a
loner, making less contact
                    than people in the witness protection program.

                    I can't see Bird running the Celtics' front office on a
day-to-day basis
                    for years to come, or sitting through every game, or
schmoozing with
                    free agents to try and lure them to Boston.

                    If all Bird is going to do is convince some coach to
come to the Celtics,
                    fine. But why can't the people they already have in
place - Carr, Red
                    Auerbach, or Jan Volk - do the same thing?

                    Pardon me, but I'm fed up with all this politically
correct bull in the
                    media. Fuzzy Zoeller was kidding. So what if he called
Tiger Woods
                    ``the boy''? He was only kidding. Jack Nicklaus (let's
go to the tape)
                    also referred to Woods as a boy on TV, but the entire
interview was
                    positive.

                    For the record, if Bill Parcells wants to refer to
Terry Glenn as ``she,''
                    that's fine with me, because some of his teammates had
fun with it, too,
                    calling Glenn ``Teresa.'' The kid must have been
shattered, too, by it; he
                    only went out and had the greatest season of any rookie
receiver in the
                    history of the NFL.

                    Another thing that has run its course is baseball fans
booing Roberto
                    Alomar. Fine. You booed him over the weekend in Fenway.
He got the
                    message. We got the message. Now let's all get on with
the rest of our
                    lives.

Theresa Lee
Alumni Officer III, Student and Parent Programs
Association of Alumni and Alumnae of MIT
10-140, 77 Mass Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139
ph: 617-253-8280
tjoyce@mit.edu