Celtics column from CBS/Sportsline

                          Presented by Oldsmobile

   [ISMAP]-CBS SportsLine/Pro Sports Xchange

                                Boston Celtics

  HOT TOPICS:

   GETTING INSIDE

   We hold these Celtic truths to be self-evident -- or at least evident
   to this self.

   -- There is more to the M.L. Carr-Paul Gaston relationship than meets
   the eye. We believe it, and so do some of the players.

   It was written here after Carr made the million-dollar vertical leap
   up the organizational chart that one should not be surprised if M.L.
   some day headed a group that would buy the Celtics. The only evidence
   at the time was the knowledge Carr had spoken to commissioner David
   Stern about such a move with another club, as well as a general
   feeling about Carr's goals.

   Don Gaston (Paul's father and the former chairman of the board)
   laughed and told the writer he had quite an imagination.

   These days Carr responds to the query by saying it's as relevant as
   "whether I'm going to be going to the moon next Thursday.'' But Carr
   is by no means poor, and he still keeps close ties with his friends
   from the business community.

   And whether or not Paul Gaston is merely taking the marketplace
   temperature, he HAS discussed selling the Celts with potential buyers.

   -- One should not look at the lack of player outbursts and assume
   there is happiness within the ranks. Trust me, all that is keeping a
   number of Celts from speaking up about the problems they see is an
   unwillingness to be soiled in the process and a fear they could scare
   off another club's general manager.

   Players here genuinely like Carr as a person, but after having played
   for some highly-regarded people, they do question his talents as a
   coach. The issues run from the X and O stuff to the general plan.

   Several eyes were rolled Wednesday when Eric Williams scored 12 points
   in the first quarter and then got just five more shots the rest of the
   night while the offense degenerated into the first person down court
   with the ball heaving up a jumper.

   -- It is extremely fortunate for Carr and Celtic Nation that the club
   was beset with injuries this season. While there is some interesting
   maneuvering going on now as people position themselves to take bows if
   Tim Duncan turns Green, the move toward the beautiful bottom of the
   NBA pool has largely been happenstance.

   Carr was very wise to avoid higher-priced free agents last summer, but
   if Dino Radja, Dana Barros and Pervis Ellison had remained relatively
   healthy, the Celtics would be looking at 25 wins and pocketful of
   draft uncertainty.

   Now that the Celts are where most fans have wanted them to be for
   several years, Carr's main job this season has been to develop the
   youngsters. In the two main cases, there are questions. Antoine Walker
   has improved his approach to the game, but he could have used more
   time at his desired point-forward spot. And Williams still lacks the
   outside component he needed the day he walked in the door. As for his
   stated improvement in getting to the free throw line, realize that he
   is attempting a foul shot every 5.5 minutes this season. It was one
   every 4.9 minutes last year.

   -- Larry Bird has done everything but break into the basketball
   director's office, plant his flag in the carpet and declare the room
   sovereign territory. He wants the keys to the Celtics, and everyone
   around -- and on -- the club knows it. One factor working against Bird
   is that, if he does get the job, the housecleaning will register on
   the Richter Scale. People are trying to protect their phony-baloney
   jobs.

   NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES

   M.L. Carr was indisposed for a good portion of the pregame Friday,
   owing to a bad encounter with a herd of Buffalo wings back at the
   hotel. But after an evening of withstanding the Philadelphia slings
   (and arrows), an intestinal rumba undoubtedly seemed like a more
   appealing option.

   The Celtics put aside their "at least we always play hard'' badge and
   took a 113-105 dive against the 76ers.

   "It looks like we're going out in the sun without a hat,'' said Rick
   Fox. "It seems as though we're settling into a routine based on the
   fact the season's been a rough ride. We were playing hard for most of
   the season, but we're not doing that right now.''

   --The C's are 0-21 in the Atlantic Division, dropping their fifth
   straight overall and seventh straight on the road. The Celts are now
   3-34 away from home.

   As for the winless mark in the division (with three such tilts
   remaining), Fox said, "For some reason, we usually play those teams on
   nights when we don't come to play.''

   Antoine Walker, after scoring 37 points (a career high and Celtic high
   for the season), was not reveling in his performance. After all, he'd
   taken 30 shots from the floor (hitting 15).

   "I play to win games,'' he said. "I don't play just to score a lot of
   points. If you love this game and you're a team player and you care,
   then you can't be happy with a personal thing when you lose the game.
   I'm happy I'm getting better, but I play to win games.''

   --The Celtics should have felt right at home in the Sixers' new
   building. With the exception of the fact the lower level of luxury
   suites does not go all the way around, it is the same interior
   blueprint as their FleetCenter. The Sixers help to squeeze in a little
   over 2,000 more people for capacity by using their ceiling-level
   "halo'' for private suites. And, by the way, the arena's seats are a
   maroonish red -- not yellow.

   --David Wesley had a personal coach on hand. His mother, Ramona, paid
   a visit. She couldn't have been happy when he missed two of his four
   free throws in the first half. It was mom who worked with David in
   training camp and told him pointedly, "There's a reason they call them
   FREE throws.'''

   BY THE NUMBERS: 10 -- games left in the season and the only number
   that seems to mean anything to the players these days.

   QUOTE TO NOTE: "I'm not going anywhere'' -- M.L. Carr discussing the
   mounting rumors surrounding his job security.

   STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

   Dee Brown's return from a hyperextended right big toe lasted five
   games. He was back on the bench in civilian clothing last night after
   aggravating the injury in Washington Wednesday. But he is not giving
   up on the last 10 games of the season.

   "I've got to go home and put the boot back on,'' said Brown, who left
   the device figuring he was back in the playing mode. "I'm going to try
   to come back. If I can play one more game, I'll take it.''

   GAME MATCHUPS: Tuesday at Chicago -- The Bulls have yet to break a
   sweat while beating the Celtics thrice this season. The margins have
   been nine, 12 and 11 points, meaning Chicago isn't even taking these
   games seriously.

   Wednesday versus Cleveland -- The Cavaliers have only beaten the C's
   once this season ... because they've only played them once. The Cavs
   went ahead by 26 in Cleveland on March 1 and never looked back. Though
   Cleveland prefers the slower game against the rest of the NBA, it
   generally stretches out its offense against the Celts.

   IN YOUR FACE: Tuesday at Chicago -- The Bulls have won 10 straight
   against Boston.

   Wednesday versus Cleveland -- Said Rick Fox, "They seem to lose that
   fear of running when they see us.''

   ROTATION: Starters -- Point guard David Wesley (below 50 percent
   shooting in six of last eight); Off guard Rick Fox (double-figure
   scoring in last 20); Small forward Antoine Walker (58 rebounds in last
   4); Power forward Eric Williams (three blocked shots in last six
   games; 10 the rest of the season); Center Brett Szabo (no assists in
   last 19 games). Bench -- First guard Todd Day (6-29 shooting in last
   three); First forward Marty Conlon (two blocked shots in last 28
   games); First center Alton Lister (scoreless in last three).

   INJURY UPDATE: Dee Brown (hyperextended right big toe) is
   questionable; Greg Minor (right foot surgery) injured list; Dino Radja
   (left knee surgery) injured list; Dana Barros (left ankle surgery)
   injured list; Frank Brickowski (right shoulder surgery) injured list;
   Pervis Ellison (broken right big toe) injured list.

   March 31, 1997* Vol. 2, No. 46

   Copyright (c) 1996 Pro Sports Xchange

   All Rights Reserved. Reprints, duplication or redistribution is
   prohibited without written permission from Pro Sports Xchange.

   Complete Pro Football Insider newsletterby computer download, e-mail,
   or fax!

   Subscribe now. Call 1-888-PICK PSX (1-888-742-5779)

   Return to Pro Sports Xchange

    Home | Index | Search | Free 30 Day Trial

   We welcome your comments in our Feedback Forum

   Copyright © 1997 SportsLine USA, Inc. All rights reserved.
   CBS "eye device" is a registered trademark of CBS Inc.

Bob Strauss      "Duke of URL"                   Cataloger
Hunter Library                                   Western Carolina U.
strauss@wcu.edu
"You can't hop a jet plane, like you can a freight train"
          --Gordon Lightfoot on one disadvantage of air travel.