Re: Those Rat Bastards

> Mark can speak for himself, but I don't think that's it.  He said he'd go
> if they didn't call themselves "The Who", right?

Well, he's said a couple of things.  He said he didn't like the sound of
the 2002 Who (after hearing some Encore CDs) & that he was glad he didn't go
to any shows on that tour.  He was happy having his last live Who experience
being the Atlanta 2000 show. (Most likely because that's where he met me.
How can anything be more special than that?)

He's also said (confusingly) that he would go see a show next year, but
only if the band doesn't call themselves The Who.

So, what's with the *need* to have them called something other than The Who?
How does that make everything different.  If they call themselves Daltrey
& Townshend will the shows *sound* better?

Is it because that's the way Page & Plant did it, & they do everything
correctly?  The Who should *follow* Page & Plant's example?

Well, let's break it down (!) with hypotheticals:

If Moon were the only surviving member of the band, would it be proper for
him to tour under the name The Who?  Nah, that doesn't sound right.

If Entwistle were the only surviving member, could he get away with touring
under the name The Who?  That doesn't sound right, either.

If Moon & Entwistle were the *two* surviving members?  Again, that doesn't
seem right.

How about Pete alone as the surviving member?  Would it be right for him to
tour under The Who's name?  I say no, but that *could* be arguable.

Daltrey alone?  Could he get away with calling himself The Who?  I don't
think so.

Daltrey & Moon?  Are they The Who?  No.

Daltrey & Entwistle?  No.

Townshend & Entwistle by themselves?  Is *that* The Who?  Maybe.  But
without
Roger's voice....I'm not so sure.

Townshend & Moon?  The Who?  Maybe.  But no Roger.  And no OX.

Daltrey & Townshend?  Sure.  Why not?  Here, IMO, we have the first example
of a fragmented grouping that could still get away with calling themselves
The Who.  Those two are the core members (whatever that means).  The brains
& the voice.  At least that's the way I see it.

- SCHRADE in Akron

Nature does not deceive us; it is we who deceive ourselves.
	- Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1762)