Re: Rat Bastards aka Let's get stupid

>If someone calls themselves loyal or hard core fan of the Who, why would they NOT go to a Who show, after a member dies?

Jo:

OK, I'll tackle this. There are many reasons, all valid. Let's take the one I had for not going in 1982: it wasn't going to be as good as when I saw them with Keith, so why be disappointed? Once you've seen the great pyramids, a videotape of them isn't as good. Come to think of it, that was also my reasoning in 2002. They were top form in 2000, and that's the way I want to remember them forever.

Or maybe The Who were a completely unique sound and cannot be imitated and duplicated by others. OK, it took them 20 years but they found someone who could do a passible Keith Moon. So the same conclusion is arrived at: I don't want to see The Who Lite. Maybe in 20 years.

Am I not a loyal or hard core fan? ME, who named his store after one of their songs? With a logo that appears a lot like Townshend (but for copyright purposes, is not)? Jo, are you saying I'm not a fan...because I'll quote you chapter and verse, lyric and liner notes. I know this music inside and out. Better than most. Better still I understand it to the core of my being and it helped form the person that I am today. And was 34 years ago, for that matter.

I was not going to say this yet, because I know it's going to upset some people, but I am absolutely NOT under ANY circumstances going to see a "Who" tour in 2004. If they don't call it The Who, that will be different. Otherwise, no fucking way. They should retain a little dignity and not be this decade's Aerosmith. They were the greatest Rock band that ever walked the face of the Earth. I don't care to see Peter Townshend and the Original Who (just so you younger people understand exactly what I mean, after the band The Drifters broke up, the members went out under the name with new guys and for legal purposes called it "whoever and the Original Drifters").

>Is it to "punish" the other members of the group? If your a loyal fan, why
don't you support them by going?

I've given my support for 34 years. Maybe if they do this, I don't feel they deserve my support any longer. Why am I obligated to go to something I don't like, just because it used to be great?

>you are going to boycott the show? It must be the surviving members "fault"
that a member has died, so you show your distaste by NOT going to a show?

You have a point, but it's not as cut and dried as you'd like to present it here. If I think Face Dances is a poor album, am I as a Who fan obligated to say it's good anyway? What about honesty? I'll grant you this country doesn't have much honesty going for it anymore, and it shames me mightily, but I'll stay honest regardless of what other people choose to do. Because I feel it's the right thing to do.

>Do you say "Those rat bastards! How could they think of living another day,

Isn't that what you're saying about people who don't want to see Who's Left?

> They need to cease to even exist if they are any measure of a human!!!!"

But could they choose not to destroy the value they created, and call themselves something OTHER than The Who? Like The DT's, formerly The Who? Dignity, honesty, integrity, sacrifice...these are things I learned about through the lyrics of Pete Townshend. Is that all out the window now?

>some major personal issues and need to spend some quality time on a couch (in a psychiatrist office that is).

Yeah, because if you have honesty integrity and dignity in Bush America, then you must be crazy. Right? We KNOW who's doing the sacrificing. To Hell with civilization going forward and trying to advance yourself intellectually and spiritually...if you try do that, you need a shrink! So what if that's what Townshend made his name writing about...let's here Pinball Wizard yet another weary time live, because...because...OK, I can't think of a good reason, but there must be one because it seems some insist on it. As one ages, are they supposed to become less subtle? Settle for the form rather than the substance? Am I supposed to give up Gin for Beer, stop appreciating fine literature in favor of comic strips, watch TELEVISION??? BOWL???? Throw out my Who and buy Bachman-Turner and Bad Company CDs? I mean, if we take your logic to its obvious conclusion...The Who are no more special than Ted Nugent.

> Dang Mark, I think Jo is calling you mental.

Kevin:

That's OK. I'm the sanest man on the planet.

>Jo, maybe, just maybe, it's that some have seen the mountain top, and don't
wish to re-visit the valley.

Sometimes it's scary how accurately you can understand what I'm saying. So we're the saniest TWO men on the planet. Here, let's have some beer and get stupid. That's the latest craze. "Takin' care of business...every day...taking care of business...every way..."

Cheers         ML

Please visit Generations on the web for frequently updated CD listings:
http://www.amazon.com/shops/mleaman2