Re: NewOperaTwinkle

> In your mind, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers = The Who.

Oh.....muh....gud.  I wasn't comparing the *bands,* I was comparing the
*fans.*  Tom Petty freaks & Who freaks.  Levels of dedication.  Is this
all getting too confusing for you?

> The simple fact that the band is based on one person already causes folk
> to ignore the rest of the band.

Not necessarily.  Think Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, for example.

> You're comparing apples to oranges.

I will simply return to my original point that I believe there is a large
amount of people who attend Who shows who know very little about the band.
We hardcore freaks are a minority, albeit the cream of the crop!  ;-)

> I refute your whole argument with one statement.
> John Alec Entwistle was *the* greatest bass player of *all... time*.

That means nothing to the countless people accompanying friends to a Who
show, or the casual fan who digs rock concerts, has money to spend, but
only a moderate, mid-level interest in The Who.  And make no mistake,
there are many people fitting that description who attend Who concerts.

You make it sound like there's this all-encompassing tight network of
well-informed, dedicated Who fans at every show.  I say to you that that
group
is in the minority.

> Name for me a band with the greatest anything, and I assure you the people
> who go to see that band know the guy, or gal's name and will think twice
> about seeing that same band without that guy or gal there.

OK.  The Who.  They had the "greatest" drummer of all time yet hoards &
droves of fans still turned out to see the band on their '79 & '82 tours.
If your theory holds water, then explain *that,* Cousin Krimple!!!

(Ding!  Huge point for Mr. Schrade.)

> Game, set, and match.
> Next!

Better look again.  The referees are reviewing that last touchdown of yours.
Looks like it may get called back.

- SCHRADE in Akron

The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists -
that is why they invented hell.
	- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)