Re: Listening Session and Psychoderelict connections

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 01:50:18 -0400
From: "Andy C" <thekindpad@hotmail.com>

I became amazed at the similarities to the situation. For example the
references to child pornography in the plot, the media frenzy, the lyrics to
Dont' Try To Make Me Real inlclude the lines:
"make me of shit in a two-tenner deal/make me of pornography in a pedophile
wheel"
English Boy:
"I read about myself in the newspapers/I'm a pig, I'm a thug, I've got
nowhere to go but down"
Funny you'd mention this, Andy, only last night I was listening to a live version of "I Don't Even Know Myself" from 2002:
"Don't pretend that you know me, cause I don't even know myself."

This was written in the late '60s/early '70s, when Pete was 20 years away from recalling his own abandonment by his parents and subsequent sexual abuse. Very poignant to think how (unconsciously) true that line was at the time.

I wonder how much unconscious foreshadowing of Pete's present difficulties are wrapped in the "pedophile" line you quote. Did he have a hint of where he was going even then? Maybe or maybe not, but still an another amazing Townshendian parallel between art and life.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true."