Kiddy Leaders :-)

	>From: Keithjmoon70@xxxxxxx
	>Subject: Re: Kiddy Leaders :-)
>
>We are there to eliminate
>him. To finish the job Bush's dad did not.

Hey!  Who's side are you on??  Yours, or mine????  ;-)

>The UN has given him way too many
>chances to just come clean and be cooperative.  He refuses to do so and is
>only playing the UN against the US; very effectively.

Saddam is an opportunist.
He is using the opportunity that Bush has created to his advantage.  I can't blame him.
Had W handled diplomatic negotiations with the UN and other countries from the onset with respect and a level easy hand, Sadam wouldn't have the opportunity to exploit.
Top republicans are saying the same.

>I don't think for one minute that he is going to stop
>developing a nuclear bomb unless forcibly stopped by the elimination of
>himself from power.

Not one shred of evidence that he has even *started*.
The evidence that the US presented is now deemed to be a forgery.
While Powell states that the jury is still out on the tubes and such, the case of nukes is dead.
BUT!
If it's nukes we're worried about.....um......look at Iran.....look at Korea.
*There* is where our attention should be focused.  Not on Cheney's campaign to finish a perhaps needed job in Iraq, that will paint us as villains in the world community for decades to come.

>In the last five years he has not stopped.

Stopped what?

>He will not stop in another five.

With inspectors and increased international scrutiny, he can't continue anything.

>There has to be a new day in Iraq.

Here is where my ambivalence sets in.
It *would* be nice to have a regime change, and all the Iraq folk cheer us, and thank us, and the world in that region be stabilized, etc.
But, we don't know for sure that will be the outcome.
Plus, what gives us the right?

What a long way we've come from Bush's "I'm not into country building" stance in the "election".

>Do you really think the UN can contain him?  Why haven't they already?

Containment would be a very tough sell.
No, I don't know that containment would work.
But, right now the debate is in buying inspectors more time to uncover things that will bring international support.
Isn't the saving of thousands of lives enough to justify at least *trying*?
It could be your brother that could be killed (if you had a brother and he were in the military over in Iraq ;).

>(Although it would be a good idea to take enough oil from there to pay for our costs while
>we are at it)

That would be theft from the innocent people of Iraq that have been persecuted for many years.
No, it would be better to have international support and have other allies pick up the tab, which is *exactly* what happened in Gulf War I.

>We do not have the support of our traditional enemies and
>those countries with an interest in Iraq.

Traditional enemies?
You meant allies, right?
Germany has been a long-standing ally, as has France.  Russian relations have been the strongest in decades.  China....awe hell, who knows what China is.  Powell doesn't even know.

>Including those sissy French.

It's not about courage.
Although, while The French are angering me too with how hard and active they are lobbying against US policy, it takes courage to stand up for what you believe.

>Lately I am embarrassed that I have French blood.

Lately I'm embarrassed to be a US citizen.  But, that was prior to all of this.  For ecological and environmental reasons.

>We
>helped to give them their entire country back!!

We gave them democracy back.
Let's not hit them on the head for using it.
Instead, listen and respect it.
Same with Germany.

My frustration with my dad is that he is quick to use the "those countries are looking out for their own self-interests" argument, yet refuses then to allow that view point to be used on us.
Ya can't have it both ways.
Me, I believe that all countries involved are honestly looking at this from a "let's weigh the cost of war" perspective.
But, I may be a bit naive and trusting.
If it's the other way around, that countries are just trying to solidify some economic benefit, than it applies to us too.  We...are...no...better...than...other countries in the world.  We are far from saint-hood too.

Hey, pass the bottle opener.
I'm parched.

Kevin in VT