Re: Daltrey rides again Montreal Gazette

> It is possible the authorities made a lot out of it because he is a
> celebrity, though.

I think we have to be careful as this comment gets thrown around a lot
but never really analyzed.

The public sees the pictures of Pete being hauled away & thinks, "Oh look,
they're trying to make an example of that celebrity."  But that's only
because *the press* was there to cover it.

What about the countless unknowns who are hauled away every day without
any press coverage?  Really, Pete's just one of many.  His celebrity
status triggers the press to report his arrest, but is he really being
"made an example" by the police?  Or is he simply one of many people
who gets hauled off for questioning, the only difference being his cel-
ebrity status?

As Who fans, I think we drift into tunnel vision, narrowing the issue
to "Pete vs. the authorities."  But Pete's just one of many who were
arrested that day, & subsequent days.

So, I'm not really sure the police *are* "making an example" of Pete or
singling him out because of his celebrity status.  If Joe Schmo gets
arrested, *he's* being made an example of in *his* neighborhood, too!.
His tiny, little, local, neighborhood, celebrity status is suffering, also!

> I'm sure the Home Office is REALLY, REALLY sorry that Pete put those
> credit card numbers into the Landslide database.

Home Office?

> ....if Phoenix Survivors manages to reform the Sex Offender's list it
> will provide a real tool for the police to use, and that it will be
> Pete's single biggest accomplishment in his fight against child porn.

But if Phoenix Survivors do the work, how does that make it *Pete's* ac-
complishment?  He's merely a pawn in this new campaign, isn't he?

- SCHRADE in Akron