Re: Daltrey rides again Montreal Gazette

> The whole thing was a scam.

Well, this statement might be a stretch.  Pete wasn't *framed.*
It is possible the authorities made a lot out of it because he is a celebrity, though. I've seen several articles saying this about Martha Stewart, and I'm sure it's true in Pete's case, as well. There would be complaints that he was let off because he's a celebrity, on the one hand, and a desire to make an example of him as a deterrent on the other.

> If this was the '60s, there'd be 100 or 200 journalists around the
> world screaming about (Townshend's plight).

Interesting statement.  I can't decide if it's true or not, however.
Maybe.  I guess.  It almost makes it sound like Pete was such a subver-
sive that the cops set out to "bring him down."  And that's not true.
Pete's an ageing rock star who sells his music for commercials & films.
He's not some counterculture figure, feared by the cops & the establish-
ment.
It's true that the times are different. In the sixties there was a real counterculture that had an idea and stood up for what they believed in. Those days led to the social changes that are pretty much taken for granted today in the US, included racial integration, reasonable acceptance of homosexuality and other difference, opportunities for women, years of peace and prosperity, a global village mentality, etc. However, those radicals paid for their activism, some with their lives. Others had to hide out for years and some are still hiding. We did see the flower children turn out for a while pre-Iraqi war, but Roger is right that there's no one out there who will really take that kind of risk now.

And I'm not sure that Pete's not still that counterculture activist, at least subconsciously. I'm sure the Home Office is REALLY, REALLY sorry that Pete put those credit card numbers into the Landslide database.

In other new, someone on TheShout says that if Phoenix Survivors manages to reform the Sex Offender's list it will provide a real tool for the police to use, and that it will be Pete's single biggest accomplishment in his fight against child porn. Let's please sign the petition everyone.

keets