Re: The Wave

> One of the characteristics of modernism/postmodernism is that the
> references don't have to sum to a clear meaning. Like TOMMY or QUAD,
> this little story gives you glimpses of thought and feeling that we
> can surmise are Pete's feeling about his recent experiences and his
> fans, but there's no direct message.

1. Your description is perhaps plausible for a collection of short stories, but for a one-off diary entry posted by Pete on his website, I think there's more to it than mere sketches of thought.

Of course there's meaning that goes beyond the words, but still this seems more a commentary than a story. I think I'm right that stories (really stripped down definition here) should represent some event that causes a change. He's left off the bit here about how the wave has changed things.

I always enjoy reading Pete's "stories" because of the way the shadows move behind the words. The content is in the symbolism. If you read just the words, it doesn't amount to anything much--this is just a random discussion of a (possibly) historical event or a film that's made from it. However, it represents things that have happened in Pete's life, so when I read through it, there's a whole extra layer of meaning that comes to life. Pete is very good at this. Sometimes there are three layers.

2. You devalue TOMMY & QUAD by saying they are without direct messages.
Ambiguous at times, yes, but clearly they have something to say.

But what? "Ambiguous" is the same as not summing to a clear meaning, isn't it?

There's nowhere in either one of these pieces where Pete comes right out and says anthing like "Get your life in order!" or "Stop acting like an idiot!" Although we might suspect this is his real message, we have to work through the discussion of deaf, dumb and blind this and that and follow the threads off into holiday camp or into what Pete thinks of the band as well. These don't necessarily add to the message, but they do provide some extra dimension that anchors the story in the real world.

keets