Re: The Mid-80's - Who Doldrums

From: "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I know, isn't it funny?  Back in '82 they were what?....in their late
30's.  That was supposed to be old for rock & rollers!  See how we're
manipulated by media & public opinion?

A month ago I turned 37 and it struck me; I'm the same age now as Pete was when I first saw The Who in 1982. Boy, talk about your harsh realities. I mean, they were OLD in 1982. It wasn't just public opinion, go back and look at the tapes. Pete, especially, just looked tired and lifeless and it showed in his playing. At the time I thought it was just age catching up with them.

Then I listened to some stuff from 2000/2002 and realized, getting old doesn't have to be permanent! We all go through things that knock us down, sometimes for years at a time, but you're never too old for a revival. At Scott's reccommendation, I picked up the RAH DVD tonight. Wow! If a bunch of 55 year olds can rock like that, then I've got 20 good years left in me, at least! Seriously, the guys were more vital and, yes, younger than they had been for 30 years. They are an inspiration.

Jim M

PS One complaint about the DVD is that John's virtually ignored. Aside from his fabulous solo in 5:15, I don't think the camera settles on him for more than a second.