Re: Pete & Roger

I'm just now responding to this:

> > This is evident on the bonus footage of the RAH DVD where Roger & Pete
> > are going over the pacing & song order of the show.  Roger says they should
> > build up the second half of the show slowly & they both agree to start it out
> > acoustically with Pete by himself.  You can tell Roger's really into it &
> > Pete is very nearly ignoring him, strumming his guitar.  "So what songs do you
> > think you'll do," asks Roger?  "I dunno," responds Pete, rather flippantly.  Roger
> > looks at someone who's been listening & just laughs - conveying the unspoken
> > sentiment, "I've had to put up with this Pete Townshend guy & his attitudes
> > for 40 years!"  I love that bit.
>
> I really like that too.  I can't decide if it's forced indifference or
> true boredom.

I think it's a little of both.  A genuine boredom with Daltrey & a "forced indifference,"
as you put it - playing up that "we-don't-like-each-other" routine that's been engrained
in them since the early days, partly from true feelings & partly from a bit of encourage-
ment from Lambert & Stamp (any publicity is good publicity).

When I see Pete & Rog squirming around each other I always remember this quote
from Roger:  "Pete & I just don't feel comfortable in each other's company."

> I really think that Pete saves himself for the stage and *curbs his enthusiasm* (a
> very funny show) at other times.

See, I think Pete mostly plays up the "I-hate-Roger" mystique.  Hence, the jabs
Pete gets on Roger during some interviews.  Like on the 30 YEARS DVD where
Pete says Roger "just lost" the competition for attention on stage.  And the WHO"S
NEXT CLASSIC ALBUMS DVD where Pete says Roger, standing on stage in
the midst of WGFA's lasers, looked like a "furry animal."  (!)

- SCHRADE in Akron