[no subject]

"I think somebody described The Sea Refuses No River as a suicide note.  In
actual fact, what it is is a song of acceptance.
This is another one of those songs that grew out of my interest, not just in
Meher Baba, but also in the poets that Meher Baba enjoyed when he was a
young man in his thirties.
His interest in this poetry led me to go and look at it.  He was often
quoting bits of it, but I went to examine it, and I was very struck by the
use of wine as an analogy for God's love, and therefore by association that
the tavern is the heart.
The tavern is the place where you receive God's wine, and what you have to
do is you have to hold up an empty cup - which is where I got the title of
my first album - in order to receive.
Anyway, this song is about all of the different qualities of love, and I
remember once Meher Baba freely interpreting a poem about the fact that if
God's love is wine, then human love is like water, and lust is like the
stuff that runs into the sewer, but that in the end it all combines in this
huge ocean which is the infinite presence of God, and therefore it's all
subsumed and mixed and one.  And that's what the song is about."

So, compare or contrast with his words about Pure and Easy.....

"Pure And Easy is a very pivotal track for the Lifehouse project, and it
begins, "There once was a note, pure and easy," and this was inspired by a
piece of writing by the Sufi teacher, Inayat Khan, who was also a musician,
so a lot of his writing was about vibration and music, about the spiritual
search being wrapped up in the idea that we're looking for a note which
suits us all.
And at some point this got misinterpreted by people that what I was writing
about was the lost chord.  I don't know what the lost chord is (laughs).  A
minor 7th with the 5th augmented, I expect - and it's probably a good thing
that it's lost.  This was a track that I recorded entirely at home.  The Who
did a good version of this, but I like this version."