Re: Lifehouse and Pete smashes his credit card...

And, the abuse of children can be such a subtle thing.
If I see a hot high school girl, and take a second look, am I a perv. ?
I don't think so, but by rule, I would be. So, I don't know.
The definition is artificial. The UN has done it that way to target the sex trade in general. Any sex slave of 20 is waaaaay over the hill, you know? However, the redefinition criminalizes a lot of material that really shouldn't be placed in the child-porn category. I'd also say that's the reason for the huge explosion in pedophilia that one of these articles commented on. It's the definition that's changed, and not the interest.

Like my view on the war on drugs, the demand should be left alone or treated at most, and the *supply* should be attacked.
Right! Notice the police captain who said their pursuit of the credit card users was taking away from their work for real children? That quote is a subtle reminder to the public that there are more productive uses for police time. Given the manhours required, they're not pleased with the result, and they'd like to give it up.

I can see the view of Pete having orchestrated this whole thing, but then it also dawns on me that it doesn't make sense. I can't believe that Pete would purposely put The Who's reputation at risk (let alone his own) for this. That's not fair to Roger, John, or Keith.
I didn't say it was something he did on purpose. I said his subconscious had set it up for him. He didn't purposely set out to commit suicide back in the early Eighties, either, but you can see he was playing on the fringe of it, just waiting for the overdose.

I keep coming back to the simple Floyd line that Pete had a "momentary lapse of reason". He may have been arrogant. At best, he just didn't care what the results would bring.
Now you're getting to it. That sounds like the heroin use, doesn't it? Just throw it out there, and see what the Universe gives back.

If he wanted to smash his credit card, and make a big scene, there would have been 1000 better more productive ways to do it without ruining his reputation. How about stopping a concert, like right in the middle of TKAA, and addressing the problem in public? "Hey, not *all* kids are all right!!!!!!!" *THAT* would have created a stirr.
Nah. Everybody hates politics mixed with their music. They'd have been yelling "get on with it!" in earnest.

He would have been a hero.
He would have been boring.

Now, even now, I sense Pete is tainted. No matter what happens today, or tomorrow, I fear Pete is permanently tainted with this.
Pete = viewer of child porn (at best).
This last article about Sports Illustrated was funny, and affectionate, too. I hope it all turns into that. However, I agree that Pete is now the poster boy for something or other. I hope it has to do with child porn reform.

We'll see what the future brings, but the deafening silence now seems to me to just sound like the cement drying and casting this Pete image in stone. We need something to come along and exonerate our boy.

Rambling thoughts brought to you by that "dick"..
Funny. :)

keets