stern and the Who

In a message dated 04/14/2003 1:55:45 PM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> That's not exactly correct.  The Who aren't one of Howard's favorites
> (like the Beatles or Zeppelin) but he does like much of their music
> & was very complimentary towards them when he saw one of the MSG shows
> in 2000, saying that, for older rock musicians, they could "still play."
>
> I can think of one classic rock band, however, that Howard really *does*
> dislike.  The Doors.  I've never heard him say anything even remotely
> positive about them.

As far as The Who, you're right about stern not hating them.  Years ago, back
when stern still broadcast in new orleans, they did a hilarious Tommy parody
which made fun of idiot golfing general manager Tom Chiusano (insert golf
sound effect). Instead of "Sure plays a mean Pinball," it was "Tom's dumb as
a wall."  For "I'm Free," it was "Tom's CHEAP!"  and "cheapness is his total
personality."  The title of the rock opera was "Tom C."  How about, "See me.
Dislike Me.  Sleepy.  Chintzee (sp?)"  To be honest, that was my first
experience, albeit indirect, with Tommy and was one of the main reasons I
went to see the play at the school I used to teach at.  I actually really
liked the music the parody used and wanted to hear the real thing.  Now I'm a
Who maniac with a coverband.

Mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971