Drugs & Roll/Who Fandom and the Godmother

>Maybe Rock Stardom is the Monster, and not the Drugs.

A lot of evidence to support that theory.  Kurt Cobain comes to mind
immediately.  However, consider too that the individual plays a big part in
that.  Moonie being the looney he was probably would have been committed had
he not been a Rock Star.  His personality meshed all too well with the
rock-lifestyle, and he just fell deeper and deeper into the Abyss.  On the
other hand, look at Neil Young; many years of fame, and yet he prefers the
quiet life on his farm raising buffalos instead of swinging from
chandeliers.  I think it's a lot of different stimuli and the musician's
individual mentality.  I still don't understand why Cobain disconnected his
brain the way he did.  If you don't want to be a famous "rock star" then why
go through all the fuss and promotion to become one?  Hell, retire.

>Ever played a musical instrument while under the influence of

>drugs? Well, it's a buzz, big fun, and _sometimes_ pushes one

>to greater performances. John knew that. John took that risk.

I agree with that concerning John.  I don't know what his party habits were
like when he wasn't touring, but I believe that night in Las Vegas was his
getting into gig mode.  That's just what he did to get up for a long tour, I
guess.

Personally, I enjoy doing a gig with a little smoke before playing.  All
right, a lot of smoke.  I've never played (in front of an audience) while
tripping, but that was a helluva jam, I'll tell you that.  Booze is
something different altogether though; my fingers just won't go where I want
them to on the frets, and the mechanics of guitar playing become too
complicated.  Unless you're The Replacements, of course.  But a pre-gig doob
is just fine.  Like the old sage Muddy Waters once said - "It's good for yo
haid, and it relax yo body, don't cha know?"

>Question: What is the true measure of how devoted a fan is of the Who?

Great topic!  Quick answer relating to THIS fan:  When you can give up food,
water, sleep, vices, creature comforts, physical stimulation (heh-heh), and
even oxygen.  But you can't give up even the worst of Who's catalog,
including See My Way!

Honestly, I don't know if I could measure it.  The Who is an ethereal and
deeply personal thing.  Like true friends and devoted family, I don't know
if I could have made it this far without them.

>What Sicilian Mother Who Fan ISN'T persistent, loud and

>disagreeable!!.....thanks...:)

>Very Sincerely,

>Johannah

(Sicilian mandolin...)  I am honored to have you here with us Godmother, on
your daughter's... the day of your daughter's wedding...day.  And I pledge
my everlasting loyalty to The Who as tribute.  May the foist child, be a
guitar player with a huge nose.

>As Tim the Enchanter said, "Look at the bones!!!"

You tit!  I almost soiled my armor I was so scared!

Jim in Colo Springs