subjectivity

> Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:30:16 -0400
> From: "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us>
> Subject: Re: Accuracy in reporting
> It's these flippin' soundboard recordings!  They hide nothing!  I
> was at this show.  Front row.  Eight feet away from *Roger.*  He
> sounded fabulous.  Older, sure, but solid & smooth.
>
> Then I get this CD & his voice sounds like crap!  Really rough.  So
> bad that I don't think I'm gonna make copies for my other friends who
> attended the show.

I've got a filthy mind, so please excuse the crude metaphor...

Attending a Who concert is like having sex.  It is an experience to be lived
and (hopefully) enjoyed.  Listening to a recording of a show (or even
watching a video of a show) is like voyeurism.  You were at Roger's feet in
Columbus.  You could nearly reach out and touch him.  You could yell at him
and he could look into your eyes.  You were sharing that night with The Who.
You were blessed to be there.

Why go back and *analyze* the tape?  Do you want to see if your good
feelings were justified?
I hope not.

Mark is now giving us his "prejudgeless" view of the current Who based on
two recordings (and his preconceptions).  Unlike most of us he was not there
for the sex - not even one session.  Listening to a recording of sex is not
the same as having sex.  Viewing a video of sex is not the same as having
sex regardless of the strength of a person's imagination or the power of
their intellect.  You really have to participate to know if it is good sex
and no amount of analysis, expertise, great camera angles or great sound
quality is going to change that.

What the hell am I saying here?  Hmmmm...I'm not sure.  Maybe I just hope
you will enjoy the sweet memories that you've got of some rip-roaring
Whogasms and not let any sober analysis color that memory.  Mabye I think I
should do the same.  My Jones Beach disc should arrive shortly. :-D

Maybe I think....I'll let you folks imagine the rest of my thoughts and tell
me what I think and why ;-)

Jeff