Re: Hendrix and The Versions Gulf

I was thinking more along the lines of Jimi's brilliance on  the lead guitar
forcing Pete to take a different strategy-from putting his efforts into being
a great guitar player to being the greatest song writer.

Jon:

That may be, there's certainly nothing to contradict it. But I thought the songwriting developed because of an early review of the original first Who LP, which was to be mostly covers. A reviewer had a sneer along the lines of "they don't write their own material" and the management pulled the LP, releasing My Generation instead a few months later. And Americans missed a whole period of their development, or at least until the new release of MG (which has all of the original LP material, as far as I know).

surpassed Jimi there!  That is why I am thankful for Jimi Hendrix.  Pete
ain't bad on guitar  neither ;)

And the ONLY guitarist I know of who got better throughout his career.

This however is still not available in the UK, unless you take a chance
on amazon which dodn't work for me - they sent me the "old" version (now
returned, of course).

John:

I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder if you couldn't contact them and request specifically the stereo version, or do the same with one of the other online sellers. Usually you can EMail, so perhaps if you explain you'll get what you want. I'd get one for you and send it, but I got mine from Amazon! And none of the local stores have even the mono version...such is the US South and British Rock. I can get you all the Lynyrd Skynyrd you could want, though.

There is a Japanese version of rarities on CD available - POCP 2350
which I bought recently. This is both UK albums put onto one CD and it
does have the longer Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde on it. It may be quite pricey
though.

MIne is a German release, 847 670 - 2. Looks like a British import from a time when all CDs were pressed in West Germany. BTW, if anyone here knows of a good online import CD dealer, it would be good to know about them.

While on the subject of odd little tracks scattered about, the Who
Collection has the long stereo - well I assume it is real stereo not
processed - Magic Bus on it. I was only able to get this on cassette,
but....

OK, if I recall (never owned that one) it was a double LP which had the live version of My Generation (from LAL) instead of the studio, and the alternate version of Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (French single) on it, right? I've seen such an album which could have been called Who Collection, or something like that, and I THINK it had a live shot on the cover.

Well I doubt very much if rarities is remastered

Rarities is not remastered, but being an import it sounds better than a US release. And the mono version of Jekyll DEFINITELY sounds better than the reprocessed stereo!

Incidentally, the Canadian CD of Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy shows Magic
Bus as the long stereo version, but sadly it is only the "normal" short
stereo Magic Bus. It does however have a different take of I'm a boy.

The same is true of the US version. MB is listed at 4:28 but is actually 3:13. That version of I'm A Boy is apparently a redone version (in 1971?) and available (as far as I know) nowhere else. Pete had this to say about it, in a Rolling Stones review of MBBB: "This is a longer and more relaxed version of the single which was edited and had fancy voices added."

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML
HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now