Death in the Family

I guess it's my turn.  My wife, closest friends, and family know of my
devotion to The Who, and it was their phone calls that brought me the news.
Yes, it IS a death in the family because being a Who fan to me, wasn't
"fandom", it most certainly was (and will be) a way of life.

I've always rooted for the underdog, and John was it.  I always cheered
loudest for John because I knew he deserved it.  He was always the guy in
the back; the anchor that kept the other three from lifting off the stage
and drifting apart.  An unsung postition but the key to it all.  Somehow, I
knew that The Who could continue without Keith, but now that John's gone,
there's no way.  No way.  And for the 25 year ride they've given me, I will
always and forever be grateful and feel lucky to have been touched by them.
The Who are as responsible for getting me through the rough times in my life
as anyone else.  And now, I'm shocked, saddened and depressed.  No one knows
how much, except perhaps all of you and I'm glad that we have this forum to
grieve in.  Only you can understand what my pitiful words are trying to
express and reading your words makes me feel somewhat better.

Somehow, I can't help but believe that there has been a sort of cosmic
connection that makes The Who so important in my life.  I became a devotee
the day Keith died in 1978; yesterday, before I heard the news, for some
reason I'll never be able to understand, I stopped and thought about John.
Weird, I know.  I didn't have any odd feeling of loss like twins say they
feel when one is in trouble, if you know what I mean.  I just stopped in the
middle of a terribly hectic workday and thought about John Entwistle.  I
just stopped to appreciate him; felt the excitement of the tour, and thought
about his contribution, if that makes any sense.  Within hours, I heard the
news.  Cosmic?  I don't know and I don't care.  I just know that John and
The Who are a part of me and always will be.  I feel now like that part of
me is dead, but I know better.  They live in me just like Keith has and he's
been gone 25 years now.

Yeah, I think John and Keith had a drink last night, shared a few laughs,
and are tuning up for that Great Gig in the Sky.  Heaven's rhythm section is
now complete and that's a ticket I would pay to see in a heartbeat - no free
tickets for now, if you catch my drift, but what a band, eh?

Thanks John, for what you've given to me and so many.  I have air-bassed to
you many times, and will again until I get to see that show when my time is
up.  Condolences to all who feel this loss, because a loss it is.  Even
those who never heard of The Who have lost something incredible, wonderful,
exciting, and awesome.  They just don't know it.

"I ain't never had time; words don't rhyme, my head is in the clouds.  I
ain't quiet - everybody else is too loud."  John Alec Entwistle  1944-2002

Jim in Colo Springs