Re: Trying To Keep It Together

Scott,
I've got a few anecdotes for you. I think they might actually relate to this situation ;-)

Last fall The John Entwistle Band had a small tour booked for early October. September 11 and The Who's participation in CFNYC made me think they might cancel. I was in such a state after September 11 that I wasn't sure I was up for some shows. It just did not seem right to go out and seek fun in the same neighborhood where several thousand people died less than a month prior.

I had a great time at the first show (at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut), much better than I expected. During the little meet-and-greet after the show I passed through the receiving line. I went over to Godfrey Townsend and gushed about how much fun the show was and how much I needed it. I said it was great that they decided to not cancel and thanked him for giving me the medicine I needed - a good time.
He said that he worked September 12 near New York City and one of the patrons asked him how they could go on as scheduled. He asked the patron if he went to work on September 12. He said (paraphrasing) "Of course we're here. It's our job." I felt the guilt of enjoying myself lift from my shoulders at that moment.

The next night on the stage at BB Kings (after CFNYC) Steve Luongo recalled how he called John just after September 11 to ask if he wanted to go on with the planned dates. John said "of course" and asked Steve if they could do something for the families. The result was a good time for us who were there and a donation to the families of EMT's in NYC.

Scott, I hope that helps you have a good time this summer. Shake your ass with wild abandon :0)

Jeff