Re: Smoked by an Article

In article <E67D5D4420E9D511A8C400902746461A0114553B@fsxqpz09.usafa.af. mil>,
    Sigel James Civ 10 ABW/LGCW <James.Sigel@usafa.af.mil>  writes:

> 1.  I'll make a deal with you.  Since there has been literally hundreds of
> news stories/articles posted about John and The Who since his passing, when
> I see confirmation and/or evidence of "double checking" sources from
> everyone on the list as well, then I will extend the same courtesy.  Deal???

But none of them said that The Who were smoking weed from John's
skull!  You can't just pass that on as if it were another story
eulogizing John.

> 2.  It isn't about gullibility.

It is if you are gullible enough to believe it is true and pass it on
as such.  You didn't include any smileys or other indicators to show
that you thought it was funny.  You just passed it on as another
"true" report from the press.

It wasn't even from the press, it was from a web-site bulletin board
where anyone can post anything.

I'm not picking on you personally, but I've seen such things get out
of hand in the past because someone took a fake report and started
passing it around as truth.  That sort of thing is exactly what every
hoakster prays for -- that gullible people will pass it on as "truth"
or even doubted "truth".  The more people that do that, the more
"truthful" the story becomes.

Its exactly how urban legends are born.
--
  Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/>
    izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer