Re: A different bomb

From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
"I think it's making contact with his fans through the Internet that has
recently resurrected Pete's old idea of somehow incorporating the audience
into the music.  That would be interesting, and fun to have a bit of music
that Pete Townshend (and his computer) composed especially for you."

I was thinking about The Lifehouse Experiment that Pete talked about around
the time of the Lifehouse concerts in 2000.  He said he was trying to get
sponsorship from Gateway Computers, but the time ran out and the sponsor
pulled out as well.  Now I'm thinking this idea may have morphed into The
Who as the proper vehicle for Pete's art (aka brain farts).

"The ironic thing is that we've "come together" on the grid.  This is where
Who fans find one another, and where we can have contact with Pete through
his website.  Are we in error here?  Should we be out seeking for real life
experiences instead?"

I have given this a great deal of thought.  I don't think *I* am in error.
I think this grid experience (as Who fans) has led to great life experience.
  Of course if anyone spots me asking Kevin Mc and his buddies to punch me
in a concert parking lot this summer, then I would  have to change my answer
:-)

There is a dark side to this discussion and fans "coming together" IMHO.  We
have a kind of co-dependent enabler feel here sometimes.  If one indulges
one's obsession in the company of other obsessives, it doesn't *seem*
unhealthy.  That doesn't mean that it is healthy.  I'm not so afraid of
becoming an internet couch potato as I am afraid of heading out to see shows
to the detriment of my real-life responsibilities.

"Just listening to us hum around on the grid doesn't quite provide the
inspiration that real life contact does.  Pete may be doing the
tours to feel out his audience again and try to decide if he and we still
have anything in common.  He can rely on The Who's magic; it still works to
bring fans together in a grand assembly so he can meet them face to face."

In other words, he and The Who are doing a Lifehouse Experiment?

"If they do a tour of university towns this time, Pete may well come up with
some lyrics that express the concerns of younger fans."

At the risk of sounding like AEB, I must say the university tour was one of
the dumber things I've seen Roger say.  That is inconceivable to me.  But
then again, I still can't believe even the drunkest of guys would invite
people to punch him in the face.  I can be wrong :-)

Jeff