No Subject

At this stage Ill point out that Pete had three monitors, all sat on the stage. Roger had four monitors but instead of being on the stage they were in the pit, sat on the ends of their flight cases. The barrier to the front row was inches away from where the monitors were placed (Ill post some pictures over the next few days).

Because of their shape, the base of the monitors over-hung the flight cases, which obviously Pete hadnt sussed. He tried the same move as moments before, two feet on the top edge of the monitor. Im sure that if hed done the usual move and had one foot on the base of the thing he might have got away with it but with two feet on the top edge there was no escape from the law that made Newton famous and down he went !. Now, from where we were sat it looked pretty nasty, the type of thing that broken ribs are made of. It looked as if he hit the metal barrier very hard and according to other accounts also hit someone in the crowd. He managed to recover and kind of hitched himself up leaning with his back over the barrier to where none other than our very own Mark (Naked Eye/Dont Forget Your Toothbrush/send cheques payable to) Donovan was standing.

Going off at a tangent for a moment, Mark is the one of the luckiest WHO fan I know. This is not the first front row centre seat Ive seen him have. He must have a rabbits foot (not THE Rabbits foot) and a four leafed clover with him at all times as he must have been the very first caller to the RAH box office when the tickets went on sale to get a prime spot like that. good on ya mate !.

Anyway, back to the plot so Petes hanging over into the crowd and allows Mark or a close ally to strum the Strat !.

Another tangent coming on. Later this year it will be 20 years since I saw the band for the second time at the NEC in 82. Following the show I vowed that I would learn to play the guitar inspired so by Mr T. Twenty years on and I would sell my own Grandmother to get my hands on one of Petes axes and he goes and falls in the crowd and gives out a free go bastard !.

Back to the plot again. Pete hauls himself back on stage and carries on as if nothing happened. As I said, the fall looked nasty and I sincerely hope no damage was done. A less a man (including myself) would have been brushing himself down, nursing aching limbs and ego unbelievable !.

I managed to take two pictures of the event that Ill post over the next few days that shows the damage. The second of the pictures which is very blurred due to my camera focusing on the arms of the guy in front of me (git !) shows Ross Halfin taking some shots close up. I guess well not see them due to the demise of the PT site but we can live in hope.

A terrible thought for me is that if Petes monitors had been perched on their flight cases instead of the stage then Matt Kent would have been horribly crushed as he was sat all night in the pit at front of Pete.

At the end of the show flowers emerged from the crowd and Pete distributed amongst the troops which were swelled in numbers by several teenager cancer victims. This was a moving reminder of why we were there and had gladly paid our money.

Roger made a very brief speech about cancer treatment being a right instead of a privilege that I can only agree with. His speech on the Thursday night during the break before the encore was harder hitting and echoed recent interviews where he had a dig at our politicians. He encouraged us to write to our MPs to change the system. Mines been fairy busy recently involved in the antics in the middle-east (Geoff Hoon) but Ill give it a go !. Another letter from me on a new subject wont hurt. Dont start me off on politics for gods sake !.

All in all, two good nights, not a patch on Watford or Portsmouth1 but good nevertheless.

On the three-hour journey home I mentally composed a post about how miserable Pete seemed to be at the RAH and why he does it blah blah blah. Stories of some of the fans I have met along the way that had to travel huge distances and spent loads, queuing overnight in the freezing cold in Portsmouth and Watford, my five hour plus wait at Portsmouth was a walk in the park compared to that !. However, my mood has changed since then and I cant seem to muster that same feeling at the moment but I wrote the essence of the post earlier.

I wanted to add something about my wife and kids, how this event has took me away from home for most of the last two weeks so that I can indulge myself and keep my investment going. How my ten-year-old son excitedly phoned me on Friday morning telling me the WHO had been on the Simpsons the night before and about my seven-year-old daughter who asked me where I was going so early on a Sunday morning before I left for Portsmouth and to my wife who just understands for reasons Ill never know !.

Finally, I want to thank everyone Ive come into contact with over the last two weeks, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, Ive made some new friends and had really great time thank you all !.

RH (aka MD, aka RW)

--

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!