No Subject

To the sold-out Who revival concert at the Albert
Hall, in aid of the Teenagers' Cancer Trust. It was
baby boomer heaven. Instead of hoping to die before we
got old, we were all silver-haired middle-aged persons
with teenagers of our own, houses in the suburbs and
2.4 Volvos. Pete Townsend, now dry and drug-free, was
brilliant, though I couldn't help thinking he looked
like that bald bloke at a party in comfy-fitting jeans
who does a great Pete Townsend air guitar. Roger
Daltrey, who's just turned 58, kept going for nearly
two and a half hours without even sounding hoarse.

At rock concerts these days, particularly boomer
events, the audience is as much the star turn, and
both we and the group know it. So Daltrey kept holding
the mike out to pick up our singing, as scores of
spotlights played over us. But in the end it was the
audience who flagged. By 10.45 the frenzied bopping
and whooping was subdued but the group showed no signs
of wear. We crept out early, seeking sustenance, while
the first chords of My Generation thundered out.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com