No Subject

'Austin Powers' Auditions to Play Keith Moon

Feb. 8
LONDON (Reuters) - The Who's Roger Daltrey has auditioned Canadian funny man
Mike Myers to play Keith Moon in a warts-and-all movie tribute to the band's drummer,
Britain's Sun tabloid reported Friday.

"Moon the Loon" died in 1978 at 32 after a drug overdose, but his legend as the original
wild man of rock lives on.

Daltrey, 57, told the Sun: "Mike is a genius. I can really see him as Keith. I went to some
of the filming of his new Austin Powers film and it's hysterical. He's amazing when you meet
him, so clever."

Comedian Myers plays a spoof James Bond-style spy in the Austin Powers series of films.

Moon, famous for drunken antics that included driving a Rolls-Royce into his swimming
pool, wrote the book on how to be a "rock 'n' roll lunatic," Daltrey told the tabloid.

"It must have been hell to actually be Keith Moon. How do you have a day off? There aren't
any days off and I think he started to live the thing he created," Daltrey said.

He said the film was still in the planning stages and would be difficult to make.

"Biographical films are the most difficult to tackle. Keith was such an enormous personal-
ity it would be a bit of everything. The thing about him is that he was the ultimate of everything."

Britain's own Robbie Williams has also been considered for the part because, with his own
battles with drink and drugs, he reminds Daltrey of Moon.

"There's a lot of Moon that I see in him, a lot of demons. But hopefully he's got to grips with
them," Daltrey said.

SCHRADE in Akron