Re: Who influenced Who(m); Cover me; PPP

> Not one of my favorite songs.  Actually my wife's least favorite song.

Kevin:

Too bad. I love it. For the record, I am inserting the ">" in this case. My Yahoo account IS set to include the original text but doesn't seem to want to put in the ">" so I guess I'll have to do it manually.

> I'm gonna back off a bit from my original "don't like covers" statement.

Good man! IMHO some of the best versions are covers. Take Hey Joe for an example...

> But, then we have to look at how far these sorts of bands were able to make
headway in the American market.
> Would The Beatles or Stones have been as big with thick English accents?

I think so. After all, it was a good time to be British. James Bond and all that.

> You may be jumping the gun a bit.  That's seems a little early to
me.  I don't think The Who's live sound really started influencing
other bands until after 1967.  Maybe 1966.

Scott:

Not jumping to gun but taking into account that we're talking about the UK instead of the US. Over there, MOST bands played London or made it when they got to London. The Who played there A LOT. Freak Outs and such. Or at least within train distance. The Beatles and to a lessor degree The Stones and Kinks were off globe-trotting but The Who didn't come over for a (short) tour until 1967. So that means a LOT of young musicans got to see them live. I can see the influence from 1964, in the opening of I Feel Fine, but you might not agree.

> ences other than just: so-and-so's guitar sounded like Pete's or
so-and-so used feedback, etc.

I cited Mitch Mitchell, and fer fuck's sake WHAT Rock bass player was more influential than Entwistle??? Yes, on bands like Zeppelin and you name `em! Others have mentioned specific sougs, like Magic Bus.

> stand correctly, people seem to feel Pete's LAL guitar *sound* influ-
enced Page's guitar *sound* in Zeppelin.  No one said anything about
style of play....until you.

The sound IS a part of his style. Pete doesn't have a recognizably-influenced guitar sound, like Page. R&B horns I guess if you HAD to pin it down. But that's the point, isn't it? The overwhelming majority of bands were doing Chuck Berry and the Blues...until The Who came along. Pete was playing like LAL long before the LAL album came out! So was Entwistle and Moon.

> ICSFM sounds like Zeppelin, too?!  You gotta be kidding me.

Would I kid you? You're my favorite kid.

>He's right about the importance of Buddy Holly & the Crickets, though.

I don't think Holly was THAT influential. Elvis, yeah. Little Richard. Holly was more like the Everly Brothers.

> Perhaps, but Mitch Mitchell's style was already developed by the mid-
60's.

Why, I wasn't aware you'd heard his work before he joined Experience! I haven't.

> fast & "all over his set" like Moonie but he played much lighter &
without the thrusting bombast of Keith's attack.

He wasn't able.

>Yeah, the three-man format.  If it wasn't for The Who Rock bands would
have 2, 5, 6, 7, or 8 members.

Yeah, ha ha, but R&R bands were for the most part two guitarists, a bass player and a drummer. Sometimes a singer TOO, sometimes a keyboard instead of a second guitar. But that was pretty much the formula.

> But I think Zeppelin ushered in much of the crassness in sexual lyrics.

Maybe. I'd say the Fuggs and Zappa might be a bit more responsible.

> We went from intelligent, coy, innuendoes to Zeppelin's women who need-
ed love "way down inside."

Ah, Scott, tut tut...that's a Muddy Waters lyric stolen by Zep. You need to hear the song You Need Love by Muddy. You can't blame the Led boys for that one!

> (!) Benny Hill is one of the greatest comic geniuses of our time, IMO.

Ooooooh-Kay.

> saw right through the fake bastards.

Or else he was jaded in his opinion of fans. Could that possibly be? And it makes me wonder...

> Maybe, but where's the musical influence?

You have a band. I have something that might be a band one day. Did you do any covers? Played any Who, by chance? Even warming up or getting the band together? Could it be that the music you like influenced your songwriting? Ya think?

> But Marshall probably didn't get paid by The Who until 1970!

Maybe...but having a high profile band like The Who using his equipment would make all those wannabe Who bands (like Zep & Jimi) rush out and buy a Marshall, now wouldn't it? Also those who wanted a bigger sound.

>"Please, Please, Please" from the MY GENERATION album.  A James
Brown cover which, despite what Mark says, isn't nearly as good
as the original.

I like it better, although Brown's version is pretty good.

Bring sanity back to Washington -
                       vote Kerry/Edwards in 2004

                                             Cheers             ML