Re: Who influenced Who(m); Cover me; PPP

> I guess I'll have to do it manually.

That's how I do the ">'s."  ;-)  Seriously.

> So that means a LOT of young musicans got to see them live. I can see the influence
> from 1964, in the opening of I Feel Fine, but you might not agree.

You're probably right.  It's not like they only sparsely played out live.  They were tour-
ing maniacs from The Detours on.

I'll tell you what country The Who really influenced a lot of bands in - Sweden.  Again,
seriously.  The Who played there quite a bit in the mid-to-late 60's & just freaked a lot
of them Swedes out.

There's a CD that accompanies the Who In Sweden book & it contains about 10 local
Swedish bands from the 60's doing Who covers.  And the book itself has many accounts
from Swedish kids who got into rock bands after seeing The Who blow through their
country.

> I cited Mitch Mitchell, and fer fuck's sake

Hey, easy, Mark.  Easy.

> The sound IS a part of his style.

It's also a separate aspect, too - how you physically set the sound of your guitar & amp.
Of course, that's what I was referring to.  You're confusing the issue.  Does Jimmy Page
*play* like Pete Townshend?  Or does Jimmy Page just *sound* like Pete Townshend?

> Pete doesn't have a recognizably-influenced guitar sound, like Page.

And I really can't think of any guitar players that came *after* Pete that sounded like him,
either.  Can you?  Who plays like Pete?  Solos *and* rhythm.

> Holly was more like the Everly Brothers.

No way, man.  The Crickets rock out on quite a few songs.  They put on a wild live show,
too.  Lots of movement & lots of sweat.  You're selling them way short.

> Why, I wasn't aware you'd heard his work before he joined Experience! I haven't.

Well, I believe he's on that Who video I sent you playing live with Georgie Fame in 1966.
Tsk, tsk.

> Ah, Scott, tut tut...that's a Muddy Waters lyric stolen by Zep.

You're right.  My mistake.  "Black Dog?"  ;-)

> Did you do any covers?

Get this:  We did "Someone's Coming."  I swear to God.  Not any more, though.

> ....would make all those wannabe Who bands (like Zep & Jimi) rush out and buy a
> Marshall,...

"Wannabe Who bands".........you're funny.

> I like it better, although Brown's version is pretty good.

Hey, even The Who are gonna have trouble upstaging The Godfather of Soul.

- SCHRADE in Akron