Re: Who influenced who(m)

And actually, another New Wave pioneer was Akron's own DEVO.

Scott:

I'll give Devo maximum credit. IMHO, they were the ONLY band worthy of being tagged Progressive Rock, because as I see it adding an older form of music (like Jazz or Classical) is regressive, not progressive.

What's wrong with the New Romantics? Did they frighten you?

They're like that bad haircut you had when you were younger, you know...you try to forget, even though it seemed cool at the time.

It's *Spandau* Ballet.

Spandex is more accurate.

Semantics. I don't consider Trance Techno.

Uh, actually NOT semantics but definition! And Trance is considered Techno, so tough nuggies for you!

Yes, in this case, I do.

Sad, sad...

Heavy, driving guitar = The Who? C'mon. Where does Hendrix fit in to
your "influence theories?"

Anyone who wants to dispute that Hendrix was HEAVILY influenced by The Who and Townshend in particular, feel free to step up to the plate.

CRASH, BANG is a Who trademark?! Two notes? The Who invented *that?*

As powerchords used as emphasis, yes. It's like a counterpoint, in Jazz.

Perhaps vulgar but *never* base.

HA! I knew you'd give me that opening! What about "I'm gonna know you woman/And you're gonna know me..." "Know," in the Biblical sense, obviously. Otherwise it wouldn't have created such emotion in young Roger Daltrey.

it's an intelligent crudeness (!),

Is that like "compassionate conservatism," a term with no actual meaning?

Do you ever feel like a soldier in enemy territory?

Often, but usually when someone's telling me how "great" Lynyrd Skynyrd is.

Bartok? Wasn't he in Star Wars?

Classical composer.

I don't hear it.

Take those earmuffs off!

spired him to get into music but as far as *hearing the Who sound* in

Argue with Weller, then, because that's what HE said.

The Jam's music....I just don't. Sounds like most of the other Pop-Punk

It's true The Who was the main influence for Punk. The Who and The Kinks. Don't believe me? Ask the Sex Pistols and/or Clash.

How? By altering the past? My time machine's in the shop!

When you get it out, let's take a trip to Leeds on 2/14/70 how `bout?

I never said they weren't!

Then we agree. Good.

So you're saying that if The Who hadn't gone
to the Marshall stack we'd be without it even today? That's absurd.

No it's not. Lots of things don't get developed due to lack of funding. Happens all of the time.

Prove it. ;-o

The High Numbers opened for The Beatles four months before Lennon recorded that song, and I have a Scene Club show from the same year proving Pete was using feedback. The story Lennon gave out, about leaving his guitar leaning against an amp, is pure BS. Anyone who's ever used an electric guitar knows better than that...feedback was a thing to be AVOIDED until Townshend.

How old are you? Seventeen?

I was, once. Did you have your memory wiped like C-3PO (what a weak bail out) or something. Ain't you got no feelings? Haven't you ever had your heart shredded? DUDE!

Yeah, "Who Are You" is real gentle & safe. You're wrong again, I'm afraid.

WAY is just the story of a drunken night. You think that's dangerous? How about a kid blowing his brains out in class? THAT my friend is dangerous.

Snow plows & salt trucks can't do a thing for me frozen bum!

My daughter's college has been without power since yesterday at 11 AM. It's not looking good for anytime soon, either.

Hmmm, but was not John Bonham a huge Keith Moon fan???
It would be a influence, it wouldn't???

Leandro:

Yes, unless you're expecting a note-for-note copy, like SOMEONE I could mention.

a shelf in The Who corner. This miserable, low-life,
stole MY FREAKING WHO CDs!! Can you imagine my reaction?

Stoo:

Hard to believe, as someone who deals in used CDs...to steal CDs, for which one is LUCKY to get a couple of bucks for (I pay $3, usually, and I beat everyone else around here by $2) is rare. A TV, computer, DVD or CD player...those are quick to grab and easy to get rid of. But MAYBE this person was a Who fan! Otherwise, they were just an idiot. But you need to contact all of the Pawn Shops and any used CD stores ASAP if you want to get them back.

I am not saying exactly........but when I hear Whole Lotta Love, I think of
Young Man Blues.

Johanna:

Bless ya, luv. Many people, when I first played LAL for them, would tell me how YMB sounded like Zeppelin. A misconception I quickly pointed out, since The Who had been playing YMB since at LEAST 1964 (again the Scene Club show).

Bring sanity back to Washington -
                       vote Kerry/Edwards in 2004

                                             Cheers             ML