Re: Who influenced Zep influenced blah blah blah

> I am not saying exactly........but when I hear Whole Lotta Love,
> I think of Young Man Blues.  I got my seasonings out.......but my
> key board is still too rare for me.............is that enough?
> Don't you agree even a little bit?

OK, I'm starting to see what's happening here.  When it comes to
the Who's influence on the "metal-type" bands (Zep, Sabbath, etc.)
people seem to almost always use LIVE AT LEEDS as their evidence.

That's interesting because it says rather than being influenced by
The Who's *songs* or Pete's *writing style,* the metal-type bands
that followed The Who  simply "borrowed" Pete's raunchy *guitar sound*
from LAL.

I guess one could call that an influence but it seems more like
thievery or "sound plagiarism" to me.  Those bands didn't give a
monkey's about The Who's song output or Pete's writing.  They simp-
ly liked his live guitar sound from LAL & decided to use it on
their albums.

So rather than say, "Led Zeppelin was influenced by The Who," we
should say, "Jimmy Page's guitar sound was influenced by Pete Town-
shend's live guitar sound."  Wouldn't that be more accurate?

Still, I'm looking for evidence of any band using The Who's actual
*songs* as an influence.  Or using Pete's *writing style* as an in-
fluence.

Mark has provided the example of Paul Weller incorporating Pete's
writing style for Jam songs.  I'll accept that even though, to me,
The Jam *sounds* nothing like The Who.

Maybe also, these influences can be seen more clearly when we look
at *individuals* rather than *bands.*

For example, I definitely hear the Keith Moon influence in Clem Burke's
drumming (Blondie).  I couldn't argue against that.

So maybe we should be looking for influences between musicians rather
than bands.

- SCHRADE in Akron