Re: Who influenced who(m)

> Sad, sad...

Why is agreeing with Paul McCartney on something "sad?"

> Anyone who wants to dispute that Hendrix was HEAVILY influenced
> by The Who and Townshend in particular, feel free to step up to
> the plate.

"Batting first: Scott Schrade!"  Apart from amplification & the
autodestruction what other evidence is there, Professor Leaman?
Guitar playing style?  No.  Songwriting style?  No.

All I hear from you people (!) as evidence of influence are things
other musicians stole from The Who's live show.  And that's got more
to do with band competition rather than artistic influence.

> As powerchords used as emphasis, yes. It's like a counterpoint, in Jazz.

Maybe, but I'm still doubtful.

> HA! I knew you'd give me that opening!

Damn!  I fell into Mark's trap!  Sly bugger.

> What about "I'm gonna know you woman/And you're gonna know me..."
> "Know," in the Biblical sense, obviously.

That's *your* interpretation.  Maybe *you're* the crude one!  Seriously,
if that is the true meaning of the lyrics then it only goes to prove my
point that The Who (Pete) used crudeness in a more subtle & intelligent
manner than the Cock Rock bands that came later.  I think *you* fell into
*my* trap, Professor Leaman!  May I be excused?

> Otherwise it wouldn't have created such emotion in young Roger Daltrey.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a "lack of emotion" that needed to be over-
come in the young Roger Daltrey.  Or the old Roger Daltrey, for that
matter.

> > it's an intelligent crudeness (!),
> Is that like "compassionate conservatism," a term with no actual meaning?

No, it's not.  Benny Hill is an example of intelligent crudeness, also.
So is Howard Stern.

> > Bartok? Wasn't he in Star Wars?
> Classical composer.

You'll excuse me, my CD & vinyl collection is lacking a bit in the clas-
sical department.

> Take those earmuffs off!

They're permanent!  They won't budge!

> Argue with Weller, then, because that's what HE said.

Weller said what?  That Jam songs sound like early Who?  Or that he just
liked & admired Pete Townshend?  Which is it?

> It's true The Who was the main influence for Punk. The Who and The
> Kinks. Don't believe me? Ask the Sex Pistols and/or Clash.

I don't know that *that's* even true.  The Punks *accepted* The Who &
didn't give them the shit they gave other "dinosaur bands" but I don't
know of *any* Punk band who has stated that they were trying to *emulate*
The Who by getting into music.  They had their own reasons & The Who just
happened to be the least offensive of the older bands to them.

Now, Joey Ramone was a HUGE early Who fan, yet strangely one doesn't hear
much Who influence in the Ramones.  More Beach Boys than Who.  Explain
*that,* Professor Leaman!

> When you get it out, let's take a trip to Leeds on 2/14/70 how `bout?

I'm there!  We could pick up some hot English chicks, too!

> > So you're saying that if The Who hadn't gone to the Marshall stack
> > we'd be without it even today? That's absurd.
> No it's not. Lots of things don't get developed due to lack of funding.
> Happens all of the time.

"Lack of funding?"  What are you talking about?  You know for a fact
that if The Who hadn't started requesting bigger amplification another
band would have.  You're ducking the question like a politician.  Smoke
& mirrors.  Smoke & mirrors.

> The story Lennon gave out, about leaving his guitar leaning against
> an amp, is pure BS.

So, you're right - & Lennon's a liar.  Actually, I'm kind of with you on
this one.  I said "Prove it" just to throw your own words back at you.
Lennon's thievery then is another example of an artist stealing from The
Who's live act.

> Anyone who's ever used an electric guitar knows better than that...
> feedback was a thing to be AVOIDED until Townshend.

I agree.

> Haven't you ever had your heart shredded? DUDE!

I blocked a lot of that stuff out.

> WAY is just the story of a drunken night. You think that's dangerous?

Getting drunk, getting into fights, sleeping on the street, waking up
with a cop standing over you....?  Yes, I'd call that dangerous.

> Yes, unless you're expecting a note-for-note copy, like SOMEONE I
> could mention.

- SCHRADE in Akron