Re: Pete's Amazing Jumping

>Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:33:40 +0000
>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>
>> >Likely it was something fairly organic, as performers tend to develop
>>their abilities rather than planning things out ahead of time.
>>
>>Not necessarily, see below.
>
>Then why didn't Roger jump, as well?  It's obvious in the WHO ROCKS video
>that he was capable of it.

Well, given your own premise that performaers tend to develop their
abilities, why indeed?  I can think of a couple possibilities: A) Pete
thought of it first, and Roger didn't want to cop the move; B) Roger
considered it but rejected it for some reason.  One that suggests itself is
that it's much harder to jump around while singing than while playing
gittar.

>>IMO this happened because Pete's friend Tom Wright was traveling with the
>>band in those days.  Tom photographed the shows, then developed the
>>negatives in the hotel room that night, and the band (especially Pete)
>>could see them to see which moves were most visually exciting.  The stage
>>moves were developed and refined this way.  As to WHY this was done, you'd
>>have to ask Pete, but it's reasonable to suggest that at that stage of the
>>band's career anything more exciting was seen as a good thing, and this
>>particular method had the advantage of being cost-free.
>
>So all of it was likely because Tom Wright wanted better pictures?  :)  You
>never know what really sparks an idea.

While Tom has an excellent eye and I'm sure he appreciated the better
photos, Pete was driving the bus.  Tom was a willing accomplice in Pete's
refinement of his own stage presentation.

Cheers,

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend