Re: Pete's Amazing Jumping

> >There were no recorded jumps in 1967, right? And there are in 1969.
> >Likely it was something fairly organic, as performers tend to develop
>their abilities rather than planning things out ahead of time.
>
>Not necessarily, see below.

Then why didn't Roger jump, as well?  It's obvious in the WHO ROCKS video
that he was capable of it.  I don't mean that they didn't say, "We need to
make the shows more exciting."  Just that each came up with something from
their abilities and interests to make the act more exciting.

Roger was the sportsman and had the hand/eye coordination to handle the mike
swinging (watch him juggle in COMEDY OF ERRORS).  Pete (as already
mentioned) started out as an uncoordinated nerd, but capable of those
outstanding leaps.  John's contribution has always been his wardrobe.  ;)

I would have to say thay they worked on some of the stage moves.  Pete
eventually moved into Roger's turf, spinning his guitars in the air, and
we've got Roger in the air on video.  But still, in those early years, they
were experimenting, and they first developed what was easy for them.

> >You can see by the videos that the shows became
> >more kinetic and visually exciting as they developed their stage personas
>(except John, of course), so they saved the guitars.
>
>IMO this happened because Pete's friend Tom Wright was traveling with the
>band in those days.  Tom photographed the shows, then developed the
>negatives in the hotel room that night, and the band (especially Pete)
>could see them to see which moves were most visually exciting.  The stage
>moves were developed and refined this way.  As to WHY this was done, you'd
>have to ask Pete, but it's reasonable to suggest that at that stage of the
>band's career anything more exciting was seen as a good thing, and this
>particular method had the advantage of being cost-free.

So all of it was likely because Tom Wright wanted better pictures?  :)  You
never know what really sparks an idea.

keets