Re: Everyone's Favorite Thread: FD & IH

 schrade@akrobiz.com writes:
<<

Yes, the live versions do add some chunkiness & power that the studio

versions lack; but that's because many of the FD studio tracks have limit-

ed guitar because A.) Pete's guitar was mixed low or B.) Pete only played

a lighter sounding guitar track for the cut.  Same with IH.  Then, when you

hear the songs played live, the glorious guitar gets it rightful position in
the

forefront.  >>

You've made a good point here - BUT, can't the same be said for the
production on "Tommy" versus the live versions of those songs? Prime example;
"I'm Free." That was a (dare I say it!) weak song on the original album that
only gained strength in the live show. Many of the songs on "Tommy" are
"weak" on the album compared to the live shows - BUT they had Moon at the
bottom of them, pushing them along. What he does on "Pinball Wizard" and
"Amazing Journey" is truly wonderful on the original album. If there had been
a "weaker" drummer on them, maybe, we wouldn't have liked them as much.

As for Pete's lyrics on those last two albums - those songs are "wordy"
without the key "catch phrases" that he had on his previous "great" songs.
Too many to list here, but you know the ones I mean. The lyrics, generally,
are pretty good, if you can wade through the imagery and metaphor - which, I
guess, points out their limitations. Roger has a hard time screaming/singing
through them. Most were written by Pete with Pete's delivery in mind - not
Roger's. And that's probably the biggest difference.

"Athena", "After The Fire" and "Don't' Let Go the Coat" are three songs that
sound sooooo much better (IMO) when Pete sings them.

Okay - class discussion: Would those last two Who albums have been "better"
or more highly regarded if Pete had done more of the vocals?

Talk amoungst yourselves...

William