Re: pete's injuries

In a message dated 04/21/2002 8:55:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Pete has a ballet dancer's build plus years of experience, and a plywood
> deck is a live floor.  There's not much danger that he's going to hurt his
> knees jumping straight up and down.  What generally tears cartilage is a
> twisting movement.
>
> As far as injuries goes, Pete is much more likely to strain a muscle in the
> split, because he's got to get enough height to split and then get his legs
> back together in a solid landing.  I didn't see or hear anyting about a
> limp
> on the last tour.  What he did was hurt his wrist instead.
>
> keets

Actually, because the cartilage is tissue padding the area between the
joints, the up and down motion (constant landing impact) poses more danger.
But you are exactly right that most knee injuries occur from a twisting
motion which damages the ligaments which hold the joint in place.  One may,
however, damage cartilage with a twisting motion, but ligaments are damaged
this way the vast majority of the time.  The point I was making is that the
slide is no more harmful to the knees than the jumps (split jumps included).
With knee pads on and pnats over them I really can't see one hurting their
knee from a running slide like that unless they caught a bad spot on the
stage and the knee stuck.  Also, watching him windmill I agree that that
clearly poses the most risk for injury to pete than anything else, but that's
one of the reasons we love him: he lays it on the line.

mc

"Can't we all just get along?"       -Rodney King