Boot Review - Amazing Journey

Here's a superbly packaged, best-yer-gonna-get-sounding, 2-CD boot
of The Who's 1969 September concert in Amsterdam.

Put out by the Hiwatt label, it comes in a fold open cardboard sleeve set
with individual cardboard sleeves for each disc.  The many pics are great.
Rare & of the period (no Kenny Jones photos!).  The discs say 24 karat
gold plated & look it.

It's arranged like the new LAL release having the non-TOMMY stuff on
disc one & TOMMY on disc two.

Of course this isn't a *perfectly* recorded boot; it's nowhere near the sound
quality of LAL.  The sound here is much thinner & smaller.  Yet it's one of
only a handful of boots that I believe all Who fans should have.  It's the com-
plete show & probably the best TOMMY-era boot to boot (sorry).  The
Woodstock show is another good one but that's an abbreviated set.

There are level dropouts here & there, the drums, sadly, aren't loud enough,
& it's not the strongest Who set of all time.  But the vocals, guitar, & bass
are strong (especially Pete's nasty-sounding SG).

There's stereo separation, playful Who banter, & a "My Generation" close-
out jam that features not one, but TWO "Sparks," plus a smidgen of "The
Ox" thrown in for seasoning.  Mmmmm.....now that's good eatin'!

Other CD boots of this show that I've heard we're either too muddy or had
a horrible high-end squeal running throughout.  Some CD versions, like my
old vinyl boots, sound sped up.  This version has it all - the best sound &
exemplary packaging.  Truly a "must-have."  Or as Pete would have it - a
"must steal."

Final Grade:  A-

- SCHRADE in Akron