Hmmm.  This could be our problem.

keets

Coping with Unexpected National Trauma
NSCC Counseling Center
9/11/01

Because of their degree of violence and complete unexpectedness, the
attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon may have left you with a
number of unsettling reactions. These reactions are shared by people
undergoing trauma (from natural disaster, crime, accidents, acts of war,
etc.) and are normal ways of trying to deal with abnormal situations. During
the next few days and weeks, you may experience some of these reactions.
They will vary in intensity and duration with each individual. Though your
thoughts, feelings, and responses may be unsettling, it is important to
recognize them as natural and human. You may not be able to prevent these
reactions but there are ways to help yourself and others.
Common Thoughts:
*       Preoccupation with the event/difficulty thinking about other
things. This is our way of trying to absorb the enormity of the event,
little by little, at a pace we can handle.
*       Thinking of the event over and over, being riveted to
television, radio, and web reports. This is our way of trying to
re-establish some sense of understanding and control.
*       Trouble remembering or concentrating. Our intellectual and
emotional energies are focused on dealing with the shock.
*       Guilt. We all cope in different ways. If you use humor to cope,
don't feel guilty for not being "appropriately sober" in all your responses.

If you use activity to cope, don't feel guilty for not wanting to spend
every moment trying to listen the news. If you use keeping up with the news
to cope, don't feel guilty for being "inappropriately morbid." Each response
is understandable and helps us in different ways.
        Common Feelings:
*       Anxiety and fear
*       Numbness, withdrawal
*       Sadness
*       Distrust
*       Anger
*       Desire for revenge
*       Feelings of helplessness
        Common Behaviors:
*       Wanting to spend time talking and being with other
*       Feeling protective of loved ones
*       Sleep disturbances
        Ways to Help Yourself and Others Cope
*       Talk with people. This helps us feel less isolated and anxious.
This also helps us "reality check" our reactions, making us realize our
feelings are normal. It also helps to bring back to reasonable parameters
feelings of vengeance or fear we may be experiencing.
*       Give yourself permission to be distracted.
*       Be kind toward others and tolerant of ways in which their
coping needs may differ from yours.
*       Avoid real and symbolic violence. If you are feeling
overwhelmed by the television images of the Trade Center collapsing, listen
to the radio.
Or avoid news sources altogether for awhile. Periodically, you can ask
others if there is any significant new information you should know.
Avoid entertainment with violent themes or images.
*       Structure your time. Keep your life as normal as possible.
*       Help your children understand in ways that are not
overwhelming. For example, young children might need breaks from the
television imagery. You might reassure children that it is okay for them to
not know what to do. Instead, there are responsible and competent adults who
are handling this by each doing their specialized jobs. Emergency crews are
helping the victims and their families, investigators are working to
identify who is responsible, safety personnel are working to prevent other
incidents.
*       Take care of yourself physically. Eat nourishing food, try to
get enough sleep, do mild exercise . Don't demand that your body perform at
high levels. Now may not be the time to adhere to a rigorous new workout, an
austere diet, or a taxing workday.
*       Spend time with people you enjoy, doing things you enjoy.
*       Engage in activities that reaffirm your sense of yourself and
others as members of a caring community.