a few strikes

Keets writes:

<<  Bush
 seems to be talking about an open-ended conflict which could extend over a
 number of years, rather than a few strikes.  This has serious implications.

Keets,
There is no easy problem that "a few strikes" can solve here!  That was
Clinton's problem (well, one of many in my book) - he did not want to commit
to anything to really do damage to terrorists and just lobbed a few cruise
missles at them.  When he did do something serious about it, in Somalia, he
failed utterly as commander in chief to provide the troops that were sent in
with the proper armored support needed to get the job done - and a bunch if
U.S. Army Rangers died!

Bush is correct - this will be a long war, it will not be an easy war, the
enemy has no infrastructure to take out (one emailed to Fox News wrote,
"let's bomb them into the Stone Age," and the commentator stated simply,
"we'll, they're already there!  What's next?") and no standing army like Iraq
had.

This is not some sinister plot Keets - this is a president that has a command
team with a lot of experience at these things (folks that fought the Gulf
War) and how tod eal with them.  We the people are too inculcated with being
quick about everything we do and telling the people that this will not be
quick is the best idea.  If it is quicker then that's terrific!

Make no mistake, these people will fight back, fight back hard and dirty with
much of our infrastructure being at risk.  I am talking about power lines,
cell towers, water supplies, buildings, freeway and other bridges, road
junctions on the Interstate Highway System (which was built for defense
purposes by the way) and lots more.  We do not have the manpower in uniforms
(cops, troops etc.) to cover all of that!

Most chilling to me is the recent CIA announcment that satellite intel showed
a known terrorist camp with loads of dead animals nearby.  Seems that bio
agents are being tested by this cell, more than likely obtained from Iraq.
That is what we are dealing with.

As I stated earlier, Afghanistan has never been beaten in war (not since
Alexander the Great anyway).  They have chewed up two superior armies that
invaded them over the last 160 years (Britain and the Soviet Union).  We know
that.

Sorry - no comspiracy theories abound here Keets.

Greg Biggs/CVC