The murder of innocents

I have remained silent over the past few days, attempting to take in all
that has happened since last Tuesday's abomination.

However, I feel I must now take an active part in the debate that has been
taking place. Although I don't wish to offend anyone, I suspect I will. I'm
also sure that I will be vilified for my lack of conclusions. I expect
this, and believe  this will prove my point. But I live in hope. That's all
I have.

I am saddened to read so many messages of hate between people who seemed
reasonable and sane appear on this list . . . and on television, radio and
in newspapers, too.

I keep hearing and reading the phrase "the civilised world". Well, right now
(more than ever before), I'm convinced that such a world does not exist.

Many have referred to centuries gone by, The Crusades, the Second World War
and even predictions from Nostradamus. What is going on? Have so many people
so much hate? I suspect that is the case.

We need to learn from the past, not regurgitate it, bend it to our own
agruments and use it as a weapon.

Now is not the time to allow such inbred hatreds to resurface and be
magnified. Now is the time to gather together and strive to rid the world of
all injustice, poverty and terror.

I'm sorry to say this, but terrorist attacks have been perpetrated almost
every day of my 35 years of life and not just in the USA last week.

Of course, never before on such a scale as this and in such a way as to
finally wake up the world to the dangers of hatred.

This will not be easy, and murdering more innocents is not the way forward.
Talking of this as the start of the Third World War is insane. Who do you
attack? There is no nation to blame. Every country harbours war criminals
and murderers. Are we all to blame for our own countries' crimes?

Accusing whole nations of these attrocities will not allow us to attain our
goals. In fact, all that will happen is an escalation of hatred, division
and death. And yet more terrorist attacks.

Yes, I know, many will say: "What do you know? You live in Britain and you
are safe." But is anywhere "safe" now? Or has anywhere been "safe" for any
length of time? I think not.

Even I have been touched directly by the heinous act of Tuesday. A former
field hockey team-mate of mine is still missing (he was in the World Trade
Centre working) and I suspect will never be found (and certainly not alive).

I grieve as do so many billions around the globe.

Nowehere and no-one is immune. Let us all remember this before we spout
hatred, point the finger of blame and talk of annihilating nations. This is
exactly what terrorists want.

What do we do? What a question, and how to find an answer. There is no easy
answer, and "nuking" is most certainly not an option. Gone should be the
days when people talked of a nuclear deterrent - it never was and never will
be a deterrent. It is just mass murder.

I am not in government and I don't have any real facts. None of us who
subscribe to this list do. But I can tell you of a good place to start.
Love.

Every man, woman and child is an equal, and until we realise this nothing
will be achieved.

Those who committed the murder of so many this week are also dead. But there
are still countless others to be found and tried. An eye for an eye may seem
the answer, but to blame countries such as Afghanistan, as a whole, is
stupidity beyond belief.

The people of Afghanistan are not all Western-hating war-mongers - they are
downtrodden humans who have been mistreated for centuries. What would it
achieve to attack them? We have seen this week what can happen. We must
steer clear of kneejerk reactions.

Man's inhumanity to man is an abomination. I long for the day when we can
love one another and nationalist views disappear. I suspect I'll never know
this feeling, but we can make this our goal. Maybe future generations will
talk of these days as the dark ages. I hope so.

I know I have put forward no tangible solutions, but how can I? I am but one
of many billions on this planet of ours. This week is the starting point for
a better future for our world. That is not the Western world, but the
planet as a whole . . . no-one excluded.

Still, my thoughts are, and shall remain, with all who have lost their
lives. And, with those who grieve, I join you.

Love is all.