Re: America: The Good Neighbor

In article <20010913233542.47179.qmail@web20001.mail.yahoo.com>,
    Quad <quadimages@yahoo.com>  writes:

> Jesus Christ your one ignorant twit!

Please, we've had enough people flying off the handle for one week.
If you can't respond calmly and rationally, then I suggest you wait a
few days to reply.

> The "U.S." did not enter the war until "1942".

December 8th, 1941 actually.  The declaration of war was the day after
the attack on Pearl Harbor.

> The 2nd World War started in 1939!

Did I say otherwise?

> The blitz was during 1940!!!

Lend-Lease began before the US entered the war proper.  FDR wanted to
do more as soon as the war broke out, but wasn't able to make
"official" government action until later.  If you think that FDR let
public opinion hamstring him into taking no action until he got
official approval, you don't know much about FDR.  I believe that the
US merchant marine (i.e. commercial shipping) was running regular supply
convoys of supplies to Britain since the beginning of the war.  This
is why the U-boat fleet was so important to Germany -- they wanted to
stop the trans-atlantic shipping.

Lend-Lease just made the existing commercial traffic an "official"
policy of the US government and also lent/leased actual military
hardware to Britain, while the commercial traffic was mostly carrying
food and medical supplies.  I'm sure some arms supplies such as
ammunition were also carried in the convoys.

> I am talking about the BLITZ!!! not the remainder of
> the war.

Well make up your mind, please.  First you seem to be questioning that
the Marshall Plan ever existed with your exclamations of incredulity
that the US had anything to do with lifting Britain and Italy out of
post-war ruin, as was stated in the original forwarded message.

> As in other emails by yourself you have totally
> ignored what I have said.

No, I have not ignored what you have said, I'm merely trying to make
sense of it.  But it seems you are more interested in making
hysterical accusations and insults than really discussing what
happened.

The original message did not claim that the US bailed out Britain
during the heavy bombing.  In fact, looking back at the message
thread, this was not claimed anywhere.  What was stated was that the
US got Britain back on its feet after the heaviest bombing.
Lend-Lease was a huge part of this, and that took place -before- the
US entered the War.  Of course, once we were in the War proper the
full might of the American economy was brought to bear on the
problem.
--
  Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/>
    Don't Support Spammers!  Boycott Fractal Painter 7!