Concert for NYC

Anybody with tix arrive early.  There's going to be a security check!

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/pagesix/20011017/en/rockin_the_free_world_1.html

ROCKIN' THE FREE WORLD

By DAN AQUILANTE

THE greatest concert extravaganza ever to be staged is music's answer
to the most dastardly act of terrorism ever committed.

On Saturday at Madison Square Garden, the elite of American and British
rock 'n' roll will gather for a show expected to rival all three
Woodstock festivals combined.

The one-night fund-raising event to benefit the victims of the Sept. 11
rescue workers in the aftermath - was conceived by Paul McCartney.

Sir Paul is the headliner at this mega-concert, whose warm-up acts
include Janet Jackson, Mick Jagger, Billy Joel, Elton John, John
Mellencamp, The Who, Eric Clapton, James Taylor and Jon Bon Jovi, among
others.

The concert, which will be broadcast live to a worldwide audience, is
expected to raise hundreds of millions of dollars through
telethon-style donations, according to organizers.

Everyone's donating their services, from the ushers and lighting crews
at the Garden to the stars themselves.

In a recent interview with London's Daily Mail, McCartney said he was
in New York on Sept. 11.

"I was very sad, but I was also very glad I was in New York at the time
and was able to personally witness the tremendous heroism that has come
out of the city since the disaster," he said.

McCartney, whose father was a volunteer fireman in Liverpool during
World War II, added, "I am proud that I am able to do something to
benefit the families of the victims, especially the firemen."

Billy Joel told The Post that promoting his two just-released records
seemed "irrelevant in times like this."

"I just don't feel like being self-serving right now," he said.

Joel explained why a concert like this is able to attract such star
power.

"Humanity needs its artists to speak for the people who have no voice.
That's our job, and we haven't lost sight of that."

Joel, who was noticeably shaken when he started singing his famous song
"New York State of Mind" at last month's televised fund-raiser, said,
"When I went on stage, I didn't know if I could actually get through
the song. This was my town they hit. They were my people that got
killed. It was a triple hit - it was against New York, it was against
America . . . it was against all humanity.

"When I started to sing 'New York State of Mind,' I had to steel myself
to get through it. I told myself, 'Billy, you're a professional. Don't
lose it.' "

Joel isn't alone in his devotion to the city and his emotional
response. The Who's Pete Townshend said his participation in the event
was his "duty as a musician and entertainer."

"I owe too much to New York and New Yorkers," he said.

Although this star-studded concert is sold out, there are 250 pairs of
tickets on sale at the online auction house eBay, on its Auction for
America page. Opening bids for these gold-circle seats are $1,500.

The event starts at 8 p.m. Those who are lucky enough to have tickets
need to arrive early to clear the Garden's security checks. The show
will be broadcast live on VH1 and local radio stations.

All cash raised at this event will go directly to aid WTC victims and
their families, and will be distributed by the Robin Hood Foundation.

=====
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
http://personals.yahoo.com