Re: pete, roger and cynicism

Re: "Eminence Front"

> >So why did Pete get the lead vocal on this one?  I don't think subject
> >matter has anything to do with it.  Almost all Who albums have one or two
> >tracks where Pete gets the lead vocal.  It's expected.
>
> The style, maybe?  As we were saying, Pete expresses his own cynicism very
> well, where Roger is better at strength and urgency.

I don't know, Roger can do cynical -  "They're All In Love" being an example.
There must be some other reason.  Someone (i.e. Pete or Roger) must make
that decision.  And like I said, almost all Who albums have atleast one or two
tracks with Pete getting the lead vocal.

> >But I wonder what the decision-making process within The Who is like when
> >it comes to deciding if Pete is gonna get the lead vocal.  I'd buy a
> >bootleg of The Who just sitting around talking about shit like that.  In a
> >second.
>
> Record it and see how it sounds?  I recall a John interview where he talked
> about one song (WGFA?) where he did numerous attempts at bass and they ended
> up using the one where he was sitting on a speaker screwing around and
> didn't even know they were recording.

I don't believe that for a second.  More yarn-spinning.

>   Glyn Johns also talks about putting
> together WHO'S NEXT on the video.  He plays the individual tracks, and
> mentions where they could have done it differently.

Yeah, I love that stuff, also!  I once said I'd like to see a series like that covering
*all* Who albums.  That kinda stuff gets me off good.

- SCHRADE in Akron