Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #303

In a message dated 11/6/01 1:57:09 PM Pacific Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

<< So, of the arguably top 4 bands of all time, 3/4 have replaced original
 members and proceeded with successful careers.
 Why is it that Zepp is held in such high esteem simply because they called
 it quits when Bone-am died??
 It's my thinking that it was time to say quits anyway, and John's passing
 just gave them a good excuse.

Should a band continue after a member dies? Well this depends on the talent
of the member as well as what instrument the individual plays.  The Stones
have always had two guitarist, and Kieth Richard is an exceptional guitarist
so they were able to continue by adding a second able guitarist like Ronnie
Wood. A bassist is probably the easiest to replace, and the Stones' replaced
Bill Wyman around 1992 and then came up with a great album,Voodoo Lounge, and
tour in 1994 without him. The exception to this would be the Who, I could not
fathom them without Entwhistle. A great singer, lead gitarist (in a band with
only one to begin with), and drummer are irreplaceable. Bands have tried to
go on with the loss of their original singer without much success, such as
Van Halen, Boston, and Journey. Likewise some drummers are irreplaceable such
as Bonham and Moon. Zepellin was right to quit after Bonham died: it showed
respect for his musical ability and for him as a man. They have sold millions
of records in the twenty-one years since he died and have held their
mystique. The Who on the other hand - blew it.  Just listen to the box set
and you will understand, or watch some of their performances from 1989 and
you'll see my point. After Guitar and Pen on disc four the box set goes
downhill. The 1989 tour had no balls. Pete on acoustic guitar 80% of the time
and horns in the background - no, the Who would have been better of if the
had packed it all up in 1978. Probably would be richer now as a result, too.

                  Jon, in LA