RE: A Meltdown with a coke and fries on the side

> > Just had to put it out there. One of the greatest bands ever, the most
> > underrated band out there. Even Phobia, their last all-studio album has
> lots
> > of shining moments.
>
> Gren:
>
> Uh...I guess perhaps you haven't heard the studio songs on Everybody's In
> Showbiz (Hot Potatoes, fer Gawd's sake!) and the two Preservations.

I'd say The Kinks, and specifically Ray Davies have had many long stretches
of being magnificent, some of them recent, but there are some dips. Actually
I think more people would now find the dips in the Arista and MCA albums
rather than in the RCA albums that seem quite underrated now. SOAP OPERA was
reviled when it came out but sounds great now.

We had this conversation about The Kinks over at alt.music.who and quite a
number of people said they wrote The Kinks off during the Arista years. One
person said they became a "parody of themselves." However, I think there are
a few gems in the Kinks katalog after Arista: PHOBIA, the song "To The
Bone," "Down All The Days (To 1992)" and let's not forget "The Road" that
mentions The Who!

> > The latest silliest comment I've seen on this list. Where's the Disco on
> > Sticky Fingers?
>
> Scott:
>
> I didn't mean the disco, but the other songs are very much like SF. Lies,
> Respectable, Whip...you know.

Sorry Mark, I don't hear anything on STICKY FINGERS that sounds like
"Shattered" or "When The Whip Comes Down."  And I'm far from being a Stones
defender. SOME GIRLS sounds to me like The Stones cop disco and punk whereas
STICKY FINGERS sound more like The Stones cop Santana and Gram Parsons.

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm