Re: A Meltdown with a coke and fries on the side

> Just had to put it out there. One of the greatest bands ever, the most
> underrated band out there. Even Phobia, their last all-studio album has
lots
> of shining moments.

Gren:

Uh...I guess perhaps you haven't heard the studio songs on Everybody's In
Showbiz (Hot Potatoes, fer Gawd's sake!) and the two Preservations.
Neil Young had a very similar meltdown (Reactor). What's worse than songs by
someone known for being a songwriter with lyrics like "Got mashed
potatoes/Ain't got no T-Bone" or (Ray Davies): Hot potatoes/I want your
loving/twenty-four hours a day..."?
The Kinks rate in my top five, but I must be fair about it. Just be glad I
block that one and can't recall the really bad lyrics.

> Yeah but when Pete was drunk the who were at their best (i.e., charlton
74,
> kampuchea 79) and they played their best.

I was thinking of Chicago 1979. If you haven't seen the bootleg video, there
is are four songs on the 30 Years of R&B. He has a blue sweater on. He's
sloppy drunk, and not playing too well. And isn't this the tour both Daltrey
and Entwistle complained about Pete being too drunk to play?

> drugs started affecting pete's performance onstage with the rest of the
band.

But in `82 he was clean and playing well.

> Actually, although I sometimes listen to Stern, I haven't in the last few

Jon:

That's alright...I was actually talking about myself, because I wouldn't
have known about the site if not for Stern. I don't listen to every minute,
just have it on while I'm getting ready for work...and at least once a day
he's either interesting or funny.

> The latest silliest comment I've seen on this list. Where's the Disco on
> Sticky Fingers?

Scott:

I didn't mean the disco, but the other songs are very much like SF. Lies,
Respectable, Whip...you know.

> Anyone ever heard Moody Blue, his last album? Some great stuff there.

The Moodies still SOUND good, but I lost it for them when they stopped
singing about Merlin and all that mystical stuff. Now it's all love songs.

> You should call him Holy Father, we should call you Cardinal Cady.

Jeff:

Good one, Right Reverend House...

"But I also made it clear to [Vladimir Putin] that
   it's important to think beyond the old days of
     when we had the concept that if we blew each
           other up, the world would be safe."
                    George "Sha-ZAM!" Bush

               Cheers                 ML