Re: New album

> To me, the boys sounded much better by the end of the tour.  I also wish
> they had released the live album after the tour.  They were just better
from
> all the playing time.  It's just logical.  Is that "polished"?

Kevin:

No, it's "getting in tune." The Who were always better when they performed
the material first.

> Now, where is the "new" sound??  I just hear a bit of a tweak here and
> there.

Yeah, that's the way I hear it too. Pete has been free associating lyrics
for the last few years, so I don't know that any of that means new
material...it could mean no more than they're bored with the same set of
things to say.

> I can't buy into the notion that the Who have consciously changed
> their "sound" from a "classic sound".

Not on BTTB; it's more classic sound than the 1989 tour!

> I'm not sure what "classic sound" is.

I don't know if I can give you a definitive answer, but when I heard
Saturday Night's Alright the first thing I thought of was "they're doing
their classic sound." If pinned down I'd say: what they sounded like from
1965-75.

> i agree with this, roger's voice is scratchy at times but listen to pure
and
> easy from BTTB. turn the volume way up. he sounds perfect on that tune!!!

Scott P:

Yeah, but listen to his voice on After The Fire.

> voice isnt what is used to be but he never had a great voice IMHO

Ack! Ack! Ack! (I'm choking) He had a voice from the Gods!

> My experience is that abuse of drugs (including booze) hinders one's
ability
> communicate and empathize, which kind of touches on your point about
Pete's
> inability to express the ideas to the band.

Jeff:

On the other hand, pot and LSD have been known to stimulate the creative
process. And we all know Clapton was a lot better when he was on
heroin...sad to say, and I'm not advocating the use of heroin, but compare
Layla on heroin to (lounge) Layla straight (on Unplugged). The boy needs a
fix!

> Now this does sound like a pipe dream.  We haven't heard much from MCA

Keets:

I don't know...I got myself upset last night, listening to a Grateful Dead
release called Dick's Picks (volume 8). The upset comes from the fact that
the Dead, who didn't sell as many albums as The Who, have been able to
release a TON of live material for their fans (DP goes to volume 18 so far,
and many of them are entire shows which means a 3 CD set), then there is the