No Subject

> I think the problem was that Pete really wanted it to happen.

Sure...but wouldn't that indicate a certain lack of rational thinking due to
drug use? Pete is very intelligent and rational most of the time...all of
the time, now. BTW I count alcohol as a drug.

> As far as the nervous breakdown goes, it seemed to have more to do with
> project overload and the desertion of Kit Lambert.

Again, drugs would tend to make him more vulnerable to stress.

> Yeah, I know what you mean.  I sure don't want a horribly sounding new
> WHO album!

Scott S:

No, none of us do.

> Yeah, that sounds bad & I haven't even heard it!

It's probably their best album (although I also like Facelift a lot). You
should give it a listen, you might like it. Go to your local used CD store
and ask them to play it for you.

> Give me one raunchy guitar track & an acoustic track beneath it.  That's a
> "classic" WHO/Pete studio sound.  And it always works.  Let THE WHO
> keep their "old," "classic" sound.  If it ain't broke.....

It did break (Face Dances, It's Hard). It only works now for the old songs.

> There are far worse bands than the Guess Who to pick on.  They had quite a
few
> decent songs.

I like The Guess Who, it's great music to listen to while drunk (and sing
along). But: "Fifi said to Don the baker/Can you tell me where to get
another bun, Don/And I'm still sitting with my next door neighbor
saying/Where'd you get the gun, John?" (Rain Dance) The song is pretty good,
the lyrics are gibberish.

> It was corny because it just wasn't Pete's bag.  Reactionary because Pete
came
> across as manipulated, not inspired, by the medium.

I think it WAS Pete, since Pete has been "Mr. Synth" since WN.

> And besides, that club/dub/
> remix/swishy/wishy dance music started in Britain back in the early to mid
90's.
> Hardly cutting edge in 1999.

It wasn't quite the same; it definitely came from that but it went beyond
anything I've been able to find to that point.

> Of course.  Yes it would.

Or would it be The Stones? Pete broke up the band in order to avoid this.

> Me, too.  Give me progression in Pete's song writing.

That would have to include the music too. Think how many My Generation fans
who were upset with Baba O'Riley.

> Pete's lyrics.  Give me progression through Roger's mid-50's voice.

Uh, that's a regression.

> ression!  I just feel there is no need to dramatically fuck with THE WHO's
nat-
> ural, classic, original, or whatever you want to call it, sound.

But they changed with every album!

> Well, Mark, we're finally here.  We've reached the point where we're
arguing
> about a WHO album that doesn't exist!  It's great to be a WHO freak, isn't
> it?!

Yeah. Always.

> Yes!  That's the progression I was talking about!

OK...then they're going to have to change the music! Because that power
stuff won't work without the "Viking on the prow of his ship."

> I want one that hits me hard, right off the bat!  And it doesn't have to
be a
> WHO'S NEXT clone.  I'd rather have a WHO BY NUMBERS clone, to
> be honest.

But that was their first step backwards.

> BTW, it took me a "few weeks" to eventually appreciate 1/3 of PYSCHODER-
> ELICT.  I don't want to go through *that* again.

But Psycho is his best solo album!

> Thats actually good news maybe someone else will buy the rights to it and
> fix the terrible sound on the current release.

Drew:

And I thought *I* was an optimist!

"A lot of times in the rhetoric, people forget the facts. And
   the facts are that thousands of small businesses-Hispanically
     owned or otherwise-pay taxes at the highest marginal rate."
              George "It's the economy, I'm stupid" Bush

               Cheers                 ML