Punk as an Art form

> - Rush Limbaugh

Jim:

Just FYI, using Rush as a source of information erodes any chance for you
might have had for credibility. To come very close to quoting Neil Young,
"Everybody knows he is nowhere."

> I thought it was about a woman he knew that had been in a car accident.
Oh,
> I must have gone to a different show.  ;)

Keets:

Right.

> I was asking about Psychedelic Rock.

Well, you SAID Acid Rock. I don't think Psychedelic Rock was ever a real
term anyway. Just another way of saying Acid Rock.

> I think "I am the sea" is fantastic-  doesnt stand too well on its own,but

Jeremy:

Well, damn dude! It was all about having to pick SOMETHING. If there's one
track I would skip, it is IATS...but in fact I think it sets up the mood for
the entire piece.

> I can't think of a weak link from Quadrophenia---but the Quad soundtrack
LP
> has one track that is pretty lame: "Get Out and Stay Out" (much too
> repetitive)

Frank:

But as a background track in a movie soundtrack, it's pretty damned good.

> One of my favorites from the Quadrophenia soundtrack LP is Pete's "Four
> Faces"---a song that attempts to explain the theme. Although its alittle
> lightweight compared to the original Quad material,  "Four Faces" would
have
> been a great fit on the original Quad LP because it provides cohesiveness
> the story.

And Joker James, too, although the song was originally written in 1968.

> Quad tours or used as bonus track (tacked on the end) on the 1995 Quad CD
> reissue.

But it IS avaiable on the Quad soundtrack CD, also remixed and well worth
owning.

> The perfect orgasm?  :)

Keets:

Oh, is Pam Anderson in the house?

> bunch of offshoots.  I've heard somebody mention The Replacements in the
> Punk Tangent (bravo to them), but I'm suprised that nobody mentioned
Husker
> Du.

Jim:

There are so many bands which could be mentioned, but Husker Du was not
considered Punk (at the time) but instead the successor to Punk, called (at
the time) Hardcore (as many of the bands on the SST label were). There are a
lot of Bob Mould/Who connections, not the least of which is Mould's post-Du
band Sugar doing a killer version of Armenia City In The Sky as well as
opening the show as a solo artist for Pete Townshend, BY INVITATION from
Pete.

> Stones?  Nope.  The Kinks, close, but no.

The Kinks had the sound, but not the attitude.

> Well, I'd have to consider Elvis circa mid-fifties.

Keets:

In a sense, he had some of the attitude...but musically he was no Punk
(Senator). In fact, there are other Rockabilly bands from the same time
period which come MUCH closer. I invite any interested to pick up the
wonderful Rhino boxed set Loud Fast And Out Of Control, on which you'll hear
the first version of Shaking All Over as well as Pete's inspiration Link
Wray. Then there's Whistle Bait and Ain't I'm A Dog, also great. These songs
make Elvis look like a wimp.

"The new President of The United States
        is what I would call a cunt "
                         Pete Townshend