Re: Broader Audience

> I think all 3 of the pieces you mention are plausible.  I think that going
> to Broadway would not necessarily broaden their audience, but exchange the
> current audience for another small one.

Jeff:

Let's not forget it will completely erode their Rock credibility.

> I have been active on this list for about six months now.  This is the
first
> time that I have the distinct feeling that you are wrong, Mark.

Well, it can't possibly be THAT. You might have another opinion, but
"wrong"...nah.

> You are assessing "Lion King" entirely from your point of view.

So are you. So does everyone. That's kinda like saying "The sun is up."

Besides, I'd say Alladin has much better songs. Little Mermaid, too.

> Seuss - the intended audiences make comparison tough.  "Lion King" is
> possibly the greatest musical film ever produced with kids in mind.

Ooh. I don't know if I can agree with that at all. I think many Disney
movies would win over LK, including Alladin and Jungle Book for two right
off the top of my head.

> PsychoD & White City:  Did they reach an audience?

Does it matter? We aren't going to get into the "popularity as a standard of
quality" argument, because then we'd both have to agree that Limp Bizkit is
better than The Who.

> high budget movie version ala "Matrix" with a bare chested sweaty Roger in
> prominent role?  That might be fun :-)

30 years ago. Not now.

> Do you think Pete would like to have the number 1 album in the world, the
> biggest selling summer tour in the US, a few Grammys, and kudos from the
> critics?  He ain't gonna get it with White City or Psychoderelict.

I think there is a part of him who does, and a part of him which would feel
the same way I do about all of that...which is: it's meaningless. I can't
think of a single Grammy-winning album which is better than WC or Psycho; it
sure ain't Santana's
Supernatural or ANYTHING by Barbara Streistand!

                   "We're concerned about AIDS inside our White
                             House-make no mistake about it."
                                                George "nice thong" Bush